• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tire Suggestions...

BigBEN

Hard-core CEG'er
Its that time...winter is on its way and my car has summer performance tires on it. I am looking for a set of all season tires which are good in the snow?

Any Suggestions?

thanks

_Ben

I have Kumho Ecsta ASX's and they perform pretty decent in the snow for budget all seasons.

If I were you, buy some stealies for cheap and throw some snow tires on it. Snow tires are like night and day. Was fun when I first got those because I had perfect traction when everyone else was sliding around :D

steelies eh? i might have to look into that thanks
Last winter, lookin hot :D

snowa.jpg

I have Kumho Ecsta ASX's and they perform pretty decent in the snow for budget all seasons.

If I were you, buy some stealies for cheap and throw some snow tires on it. Snow tires are like night and day. Was fun when I first got those because I had perfect traction when everyone else was sliding around :D

My SVT was sold to me with new Kumho Ecsta ASX's and they've been great on wet and dry roads. Very quiet too. They're not going to see snow however. Overall I prefer the BFGoodrich Traction T/A's on my 95. Hard to compare though, as the cars are a little different. ;)

If I was ya'll, I'd get a summer tire and winter tires on steelies/stock wheels.

I had contiextremes. They suck compared to a good summer tire. They probably last longer and I'd expect better in the snow, but in dry and rain they are worse. The goodyear assurance tripletreds are gonna be even worse in dry (not sure about wet and snow), but last a long time but not worth the money to me.

The goodyear assurance tripletreds are gonna be even worse in dry (not sure about wet and snow), but last a long time but not worth the money to me.
Actually, they are quite good in the dry. My car handles like it's on rails with these tires. My former Dunlops were good, these are better. I probably wouldn't want to autocross on them, but for every day they're great. My .02:ponder:

Actually, they are quite good in the dry. My car handles like it's on rails with these tires. My former Dunlops were good, these are better. I probably wouldn't want to autocross on them, but for every day they're great. My .02:ponder:
You don't know what handling like it's on rails means if you think triple treds handle that good. I've driven many cars with triple treds and although they're fine for every day driving (what tire isn't? who gets to push their car to its limits every day?), probably above average in the rain, and long lasting they are not a performance tire. I would not want them on a 'sports' car. That's IMO though. I imagine many people could be quite happy with them.

I have Bridgstone Potenze G009's and I love them.I have not had a chance to see what the snow handling is liike, but wet, and dry they are wonderful! I will probably be slapping another set on the SVT very very soon.

Someone mentioned Continental ContiExtremeContacts ... anyone use these?

I think I'm in the same boat as Ben...STUPID MICHIGAN WINTERS!

-Tim :cool:

I had them and liked them. Another CEG'er has them now along with my winter wheels.
They were on my car for winter only. I had no problem in the rain or on dry roads, handled well.
In the snow, no issues either. I took the car out one night in a snow storm to see how the car handled, I went through some roads that were plowed shut perfectly fine. On the plowed roads they were fine also.
I'm going to get another set to go with the new winter wheels that I have.
HTH

Someone mentioned Continental ContiExtremeContacts ... anyone use these?

I think I'm in the same boat as Ben...STUPID MICHIGAN WINTERS!

-Tim :cool:

I have had them on my factory wheels for a while now. Actually, just bought my second set last week. These are great tires for the price, very good in snow, wet, and dry conditions.

why would you get a all season tire for the winter if you are going to have different tires and wheels for the winter? look into snow tires unless you are in a location that doesn't get snow ... best way to go

Back