• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Timing cover woes

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
Alright well I'm sand blasting my timing covers and looking at the installation again...

So I have all new 05 Escape timing components on the engine. I wanted to use the 05 Escape timing cover, with the newer cam and crank sensors. However I noticed that it has a cross brace on the cover, which would prevent the power steering pump from being installed. Well I could just cut this off, but I'm thinking for all this dang trouble I should just use the 2.5L timing cover. Looking at the two it seems that Ford made some enhancements to the 05 Escape cover by adding additional structural ribbing that the 2.5L one doesn't have as well as the tensioner being placed in a different location, but other then those two things I see no reason why I couldn't just use the 2.5L cover and move on. Only difference in the install is the orientation of the pulse wheel which isn't a big deal.

However that said has anyone used an 05 or later timing cover on their engine and what if any modifications were completed?

Yup, decided to use the 2.5L timing cover. 3L crank and cam sensors fit in the same mounting spots and have the same depth. Also mocked up the install with the timing cover on the engine and checked clearances. The only thing that is tight, but still clears, are the bolts for the tensioner on the LH side. Probably have about 3-5mm from the bolt head to the timing cover. So for simplicity I'll be keep the cover, which will allow for me to use the factory belt routing and belt sizes. Now just need to buy a new tensioner and idler pulley... flippin $87 for all of it and new belts for the water pump and accessory drive through RockAuto and that's after the discount ugh.

Now the question is what color do I paint/powder coat the timing cover and valve covers... thinking of just clear coating the timing cover after it's blasted and polished and then a black wrinkle for the valve covers.

I'd say they had to put that bar in the middle. On the 2.5 you have the pump bolted in there and then the plate on to if that. Forming a firm brace in between the heads and valve cover.

Alright well I'm sand blasting my timing covers and looking at the installation again...

So I have all new 05 Escape timing components on the engine. I wanted to use the 05 Escape timing cover, with the newer cam and crank sensors. However I noticed that it has a cross brace on the cover, which would prevent the power steering pump from being installed. Well I could just cut this off, but I'm thinking for all this dang trouble I should just use the 2.5L timing cover. Looking at the two it seems that Ford made some enhancements to the 05 Escape cover by adding additional structural ribbing that the 2.5L one doesn't have as well as the tensioner being placed in a different location, but other then those two things I see no reason why I couldn't just use the 2.5L cover and move on. Only difference in the install is the orientation of the pulse wheel which isn't a big deal.

However that said has anyone used an 05 or later timing cover on their engine and what if any modifications were completed?

The pulse wheel should be set to the 2.5L spot when you use either the Escape cover or the 2.5L cover. It's set to the 3L position for the Taurus/Sable motors. You don't want to get that thing together and then have to pull it apart to get at that pulse wheel.

The pulse wheel should be set to the 2.5L spot when you use either the Escape cover or the 2.5L cover. It's set to the 3L position for the Taurus/Sable motors. You don't want to get that thing together and then have to pull it apart to get at that pulse wheel.

Are you sure? The 3L Escape cover that I have has the crank sensor on the opposite side and at an angle. I thought the Escapes had a at least two different timing covers over the years.

Guess it doesn't really matter since I'm using the 2.5L cover.

Just make sure you use the keyway near the 2.5 REF marking or look up the thread on where the missing tooth should be in respect to the keyway you pick. If you have the cover you can compare where the crank sensor goes in to the 2.5L cover and that escape cover. If it's in the same general location as the 2.5L then the pulse wheel stays the same. The Escape cover with the bar is the same basic shape as the 2.5L cover. I'm almost certain that the crank sensor is in the same location as the previous escape covers and the 2.5L covers. It's no fun going back to change that when it's in the car. :blackeye:

I hear that, about that pulse wheel. When I built my 3l and wouldn't start. Pulled my crank pulley with a flash light and a camera. Inspected it and phew was on right.

The Escape cover with the bar is the same basic shape as the 2.5L cover. I'm almost certain that the crank sensor is in the same location as the previous escape covers and the 2.5L covers. It's no fun going back to change that when it's in the car. :blackeye:

2005 Escape cover, notice the crank sensor location on the left side.
frontin.jpg

SVT Contour timing cover, crank sensor on the right side (from your website ;))...
Timing_Cover.jpg

Now the Cam position sensor looks to be in the same position. And the crank counts the teeth and then the gap. Hmm you rotate the wheel to a basically a different timing position. Maybe I am crazy or ignorant but I don't think the 05 cover would work. Seems like you are moving the sensor 180 degrees. And it seems the crank and Cam have to correspond together.

My work blocks the escape cover image for some reason. If it's on the other side than sorry for the confusion, you'd be correct. The pulse wheel would have to move to the other keyway.

Now the Cam position sensor looks to be in the same position. And the crank counts the teeth and then the gap. Hmm you rotate the wheel to a basically a different timing position. Maybe I am crazy or ignorant but I don't think the 05 cover would work. Seems like you are moving the sensor 180 degrees. And it seems the crank and Cam have to correspond together.

Yes the cam sensor is in the same position. The 05 cover would work if I wanted it too. The crank/cam sensors counts pulses and they are independent of each other. The crank sensor would see the same pulses in either spot on both covers with respect to the timing, but to do so the pulse wheel has to be installed in the correct orientation to allow for it. That is why there was all the discussion about the placement of the pulse wheel. That is what matters. Bottom-line... moving the sensor doesn't matter installing the pulse wheel on the crank for the orientation of the crank sensor does.

Back