• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Throttle Rising Problem

smmesner

New CEG'er
I have read most threads about "throttle hanging", but I have a throttle rising problem. The throttle increases to 3300 to 4500 rpm without pushing the accelerator. It even continues when I stop. When slowing down, the car continues to increase speed. I checked the throttle cable, and no problems there. I have changed the TPS and it stopped for 3 days, then started up again. The only other CEL that comes up is the EGR valve, but that has been there for 3 years with no problems. Any ideas would really be appreciated. This is very annoying and want to get this fixed.

Sounds like the same issue to me. have you tried the throttle hang fix yet? if i take the copper cap out of my car and start it, it instantly revs to 2-3k so try it out.

This may not be of any help but I had a surging issue a while back with mine. All it took was some Intake Cleaner and clean out of the Intake butterfly and the few inlet hoses there and never had any issues again. A friend of mine suggested it since he had a mustang at the time, there's a small hole in the intake butterfly (or whatever the real term may be lol) that tends to gum up with carbon and sometimes cause unwanted acceleration.
Just an idea.

Have had this issue in the past due to PCV valve going bad. Its a $3 part so worth a try.

Sound more like an idle air control valve issue to me. I think the IAC costs around $70, and is very simple to replace. Other have had luck cleaning them. When mine went bad, I don't remember getting a CEL. But I may be mistaken.

Similiar issue. Cleaned out intake and egr tubing along with IAC connections. gunk messes it up sometimes. carb cleainer

This may not be of any help but I had a surging issue a while back with mine. All it took was some Intake Cleaner and clean out of the Intake butterfly and the few inlet hoses there and never had any issues again. A friend of mine suggested it since he had a mustang at the time, there's a small hole in the intake butterfly (or whatever the real term may be lol) that tends to gum up with carbon and sometimes cause unwanted acceleration.
Just an idea.

+1 Cleaned everything real good and haven't had any problems since.

I have cleaned everything and still having problems. It is strange how it will happen one day, and disappear the next. I will check the IAC and PCV valves and go from there.

I used to have the issue of throttle hang and rising throttle. I had replaced the IAC 2 times with an aftermarket unit and put the throttle hang fix in. I then bought a Motorcraft IAC and I no longer needed the throttle hang fix.

A vacuum leak can also cause this issue.

Back