• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

throttle position sensor (tps) installation/part numbers

BrApple

No Life But CEG
I just recently a SVT tb on my SE and I ended up getting a code P1120, tps sensor voltage to low, it turns out that I had a SE tps and not a SVT one. Also I have read alot that people have been having trouble getting the correct tps.

Here is a SE throttle body with out the tps

The SE tb turns clockwise where the SVT tb turns counterclockwise as viewed from the front of the vehicle. The SVT tb will look somewhat similar.

When purchacing a tps it is a good idea to check the direction that the sensor turns. As I noted before the SE tb turns clockwise and the SVT tb turns counterclockwise. When you view the tps you will be looking at the opposite side of the sensor then you would see as it is installed on the vehicle.

When you purchase a tps for a SE the tps needs to turn counterclockwise and the SVT tps needs to turn clockwise, remember this is 180 degrees from how it is viewed on the car, reference this photo.

what also needs to be know is that the tps does not drop right onto the tb, it needs to be loaded, ie the sensor needs to be slightly turned when teh tb is closed. The sensor reads from about 0.1 volts to 1 volts for closed to open positions. The following photos show how the tps should be installed on a SE tb, if you don't install it correctly you will break the sensor.

now turn the sensor so that the mounting holes line up and bolt it down, you need to turn the sensor counterclockwise

The SVT tps is installed the same way but the sensor needs to be offset upwards and then rotated clockwise to be mounted.

hope that helps some people that have getten the wrong sensor or have had trouble installing a tps

"originally posted by goonzsvt"

I received the new TPS from Bill today..

the new SVT TPS part number is F4SZ-9B989-AA I think this one is it!

here are the pics of the SVT one on the left and the SE on the right..

11a01e9b.jpg

SVT TPS

16ebe235.jpg

SE TPS

622b413b.jpg

Last edited:
The correct part number for an aftermarket SVT TPS from Autozone is Wells TPS245. It costs $30.99 and is an item that they normally keep in stock in most stores.
Nathan

I just recently a SVT tb on my SE and I ended up getting a code P1120, tps sensor voltage to low, it turns out that I had a SE tps and not a SVT one. Also I have read alot that people have been having trouble getting the correct tps.

Here is a SE throttle body with out the tps

DSC02428.JPG

cool, i'm goin to need this real soon. i was also wondering, is there supposed to be some kind of grease in the tps, i notice ur first pic has, what looks like some type of grease?

cool, i'm goin to need this real soon. i was also wondering, is there supposed to be some kind of grease in the tps, i notice ur first pic has, what looks like some type of grease?

that is not grease, the flange on the TB for the TPS was broken and repaired with JB weld .... I never installed that TB on my car as I ended up getting a optimized SVT one .... I was going to pull the shaft and plate from this one as it was optimized, but poorly by hand ...

Would it be possible to get these missing pics reposted?

I'm installing a new svt TPS and I'm wondeing how much of an upward angle it should have before lining up to the screw holes. Would it be just a few degrees away, less than 5 I'm guessing?

I would also like the missing images re-linked if possible. I just tested the TPS with the ohmmeter and *pffffft* bad tps.

Would it be possible to get these missing pics reposted?

I'm installing a new svt TPS and I'm wondeing how much of an upward angle it should have before lining up to the screw holes. Would it be just a few degrees away, less than 5 I'm guessing?

i'm wondering the same exact thing! i'd like to see the pics as well, to get a better idea.

Does someone have the OP pictures for install? I took a guess, and whatever way i did it is wrong :p

So when installing a svt tps is it suppose to fall right in? Or do you turn it with the linkage. I just changed mine out and still have a code coming back

Back