• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Throttle Body cleaning

Rick

CEG'er
I understand that the label on the SVT Throttle body cautions against cleaning with aerosol solvents. I assume it is because the throttle plate is "Teflon" coated and some of the high strength solvents may remove or dissolve the coating(??), are there any other reasons? While at NAPA today I notice one of their house brands of Throttle Body cleaner said it was safe for "Coated Parts". Anyone have factual opinions?

Ok I did this a couple of weeks ago after the initial post. I did not spray into the manifold but wet a cloth heavily and rubbed and scrubbed the inlet opening behind the throttle body, after removing the Throttle Body. It took some time and careful application of "Elbow Grease" but it did come completely clean. I used the same method to clean the throttle body and remove a small lip of Carbon that had been causing the Throttle plate to bind. After getting every bit of carbon deposits removed from the visible areas of the manifold and the entire Throttle Body (both sides), I reinstalled it AND put on a new IMRC box. What a difference. Pedal is smoth and throttle response is linear. Well worth the effort. Still want to pull the manifoids and clean the ports thouroughly.

Back