• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Three check engine codes. Car still seems to run fine.

99contourSE

CEG'er
I got an skl "performance chip" two days ago and wired it according to the vehicle specific diagram. It wires into the MAF sensor. My engine is the 2.0l 4cyl VCT. Car seemed to run fine after installation of the "chip" but didn't really see the difference they claimed. Honestly kind of expected it. A few hours later, I went out to start my car, and the check engine light came on. I took it to get the codes pulled this morning, and it pulled three codes. None of which make sense to me. I was hoping someone would be able to help me/give me probable causes of each code. (I am definitely ripping this chip out. Good thing it has a 30 day money back guarantee) any help would be greatly appreciated. Codes are p0136 p0141 and p1000

•P0136 02 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank I Sensor 2)
•P0141 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

You could have a bad O2 sensor. Chances are it needs to e replaced. The P1000 code just indicates that not all of the PCM self-tests have been completed.

And yes that "chip" is junk, get rid of it.

So will the p1000 code go away after the o2 sensor is replaced or will I have to clear it myself? And I've never quite understood the whole "sensor heater circuit" thing. I get that it has to warm up the o2 sensor to a specified temp when it is cold and also when it is warm and the set rate that it is supposed to warm up. Do you think the "chip" would cause the o2 sensor to go out?

Very doubtful that the "chip" made the O2 sensor go bad. OBDII ECU's monitor the O2 sensor heater current. At cold start, the heater current will be about 2.5A per O2 sensor, and the current decreases as the sensor warms to operating temp. The ECU monitors this current and acts accordingly (throws a code) if the heater current isn't there or doesn't behave as expected. An O2 sensor will go bad, 1/2 of it is in a rather harsh environment, and for the most part, they have a useful life of about 60K miles, less if the engine is an oil burner.

"Chips" that fool the output of mass air and engine coolant temp sensors are snake oil redefined, they're junk, return it for a refund or set it a-fire.

The o2 sensor has never been replaced and the car has 240k miles on it which makes me hopeful. So is there a possibility that replacing the o2 sensor could fix the issue in its entirety? Thank for the help guys I appreciate it.

I'd replace both oxygen sensors. They should be replaced every 80,000 miles or about there. Get rid of the chip.

2.0L VCT has only one 3-way cat, IIRC. The upstream O2 is on the exhaust manifold, should be visible from the top. The second O2 is the cat efficiency monitor and is after the catalytic converter. Both are heated and both heaters are monitored by the ECU. "Bank 1, Sensor 2" would seem to implicate the downstream (after cat) sensor.

Agreed, at 240K miles, replace both, it should net you a tidy improvement in fuel economy. The upstream O2 is what affects fueling and fuel economy.

Sweet thank you for all the help guys. I'll definitely let you know if it works when I get paid Friday and can afford to replace the sensors. I will definitely replace both.

So will the p1000 code go away after the o2 sensor is replaced or will I have to clear it myself?

Maybe. Don't worry about the P1000 code, it really doesn't mean anything to the average person. All it indicates is that all the PCM self tests have not completed. They can take some time to run.

Back