• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Thermostat

Murtaza

CEG'er
I was in stop-and-go traffic the other day and noticed the temp gauge gradually increase to the 'A' in 'Normal' I quickly turned the heat on full blast then turned the A/C on to get the fans going because I didn't hear them click on. Temps dropped pretty quick after I did that. I suspect a closed thermostat? Where is it located on the 2.5L? Am I supposed to remove the whole metal bypass pipe? A pic would be helpful. Thanks

If the thermostat was closed coolent wouldn't be flowing through the radiator and turning the fans on wouldnt help (i think?)...
the "normal" isnt calibrated from what i here and thats not that bad.. mine used to just chill up there on the AL of normal.... i did everything to fix it (thermostat waterpump etc) including getting a new radiator... if you know anyone with an obd scanner you can check the temp through that and it will give you an actual temperature (also it could be a temp sensor dont for get that)... the fans dont click on till it gets high anyway i dont recall exactly how high but you can look it up...

I'm not saying dont be cautious... but it's probably not a big deal...

It's easiest to remove the battery and then it sits to the left on one of the big radiator hose... you dont have to remove the whole thing if you do switch it... you can just unbolt pull/swap it and rebolt... hope this helps.. if you need pics i can find some

My 98 svt does this this.......I don't believe the needle is very accurate as mine varies between the "n" in normal all the way over to the "al" in normal. Mine actually got worse when I installed my 3L.

I did notice a little bit of smoke though coming from the coolant reservoir area and that's what made me quickly turn the A/C on to get the fans going. It usually sits 90% of the time at the O or R in "Normal" and never really moves from there. If you could find a pic I'd appreciate it. I'm going to attempt it tomorrow afternoon and would like to know where to look before I get in there. Thanks for the help!

just got my obd2 scanner in the mail actually like 5 min ago and tested it out when my car warms up it likes to run at 190F if i turn on the heat it drops to 180F and i do have a lower temp thermostat in there.. i dont remember exactly what but if i recall correctly is like 180... i think the stock was like 190 something 2? maybe? so you should be fine i think... i removed the needle so i cant say exactly where mine was before but i think your ok

I was in stop-and-go traffic the other day and noticed the temp gauge gradually increase to the 'A' in 'Normal' I quickly turned the heat on full blast then turned the A/C on to get the fans going because I didn't hear them click on. Temps dropped pretty quick after I did that. I suspect a closed thermostat? Where is it located on the 2.5L? Am I supposed to remove the whole metal bypass pipe? A pic would be helpful. Thanks

It's not hard to find and no you don't have to remove the bypass pipe. If you look at your battery the thermastat housing is to the left of it near the back corner. If your replacing the therm it will be easier to get to if you remove the battery. I would check with a scanner first to see what your temp really is.

Thanks for the help. It was pretty clear once I removed the battery I had no idea it was sitting in between the hoses I figured it was behind the by pass pipe lodged into the engine block. I put a new Stant 180*F thermostat in there and did a flush of the system with 70% coolant 30% water and tested it on load keeping it in 1st and 2nd around the block and it seems to be working great.

I can't test the exact temps with an obd reader because I can't find the trigger wire that comes off the pcm for the reader. I'd have to connect into the pcm myself and I don't feel it's worth all the trouble until I get an engine code. The previous owner did a swap and must have damaged the wire. Either way it seems fine now, thanks for the help.

Back