• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

The Contour is no more

That is some great news Dan! Good luck, I hope you get the position.

Keep on top of your insurance co. as well. They can speak with her insurance co. as they should help get the ball rolling for you. Smokinjoe is right, Nationwide is ultimately going to be responsible for your rental as you know. But, be prepared for them to want you to give up the rental very quickly after they pay out the claim. Speak to them about how long they will give you to get another vehicle so you aren't responsible for the extra cost of the rental. They can give you a few extra days and include the money for that in the settlement.

It's too bad you don't want to strip it down and make a track car out of it. Something to just beat the heck out of with no worries :cool:.

It's too bad you don't want to strip it down and make a track car out of it. Something to just beat the heck out of with no worries :cool:.

You have no idea how much I'd love to do that but welding would definitely be needed, preferably a roll cage for some structural rigidity, and I don't know how to weld nor have any of the equipment.

Also I didn't want to post this in the classified ad but I wish you were closer than 15 hours away or I'd be taking that green/tan off your hands, my favorite color combo.:drool:

Well checked out a black SVT in my area with 114K today, guy was asking 4K offered him 3.5.

The Good:
Extremely clean stock rims with decent tires
Runs and drives strong
Little to no rust
Interior is fairly clean
Has Borla exhaust that sounds good
New brake job on it
No CEL or anything, seems slightly hesitant which is probably the chip the owner before this one installed, pulling that off ASAP
Clear headlights

The Bad:
Has unnamed lowering springs on stock style struts, a large no-no to me
Really bad 2nd and 3rd gear crunch, was trying to rev-match on test drive but will have to get used to it he barely ground them at all when he drove it, gonna pull the trans out of mine before it goes to the scrapper I think
E-brake cable is apparently new but owner before this one didn't install properly or something, doesn't work
Missing all 4 jack point covers
Front grill is off an SE
Front bumper has a messed up section on top, may not be able to repair
Hood has a small area that's scratched and dented
~3" deep scratch on drivers rear
Crack in the pass. sideskirt on the front jackpoint area
Small dent and misc scratches, mostly limited to clearcoat on pass. rear door and quarter

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cont...7204857?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c2903e2f9

Really my 2 main issues are the syncro grind and the lowering springs but otherwise it's a decent car. Definitely saw better ones for less but they all sold quickly and I need a car.

You bought it? 100% pull the transmission out of your old car before it's gone.

I didn't buy it, I made him an offer and he accepted it but we haven't finalized anything and I can still back out.

Turns out in the hour I've been home, I just may be doing that haha. Found an SE Sport for under 1K clean carfax only needs new struts in the rear and best part is it has a moonroof. I'll find out tomorrow night if I'm getting that one, if I am then obviously I won't be getting the SVT.

It sounds like the SVT might need a bit too much to pay $3500..... but if you have no other choice I guess. The SE sport sounds like a decent price.

Yeah I mean I am not too concerned with aesthetic stuff, the SE has a bunch of scratches and scrapes, but if I got an SVT I'd want it to look good. Plus my reasoning for getting an SE in the first place over an SVT still stands; it would be a DD and would be driven in the winter as well as needing to be decent on gas and reasonable insurance rates. SE Sport is only at $560 (+$150 for sellers processing/storing fees) right now with about a day left on the auction so I'd have all my mods to put on it as well as more than enough left over to do a full suspension overhaul and still have some left over.

The $$$ for that CSVT sounds a bit rich to me , for all it needs , Dan . I'd bet you can find a nicer one . Like you said , an SE sounds like better idea for what you're looking to do - and it'll do it on cheap gas too :) .

Yeah it'd be nice to have an SVT, like the T-green/tan XR just listed in the classifieds which I'll look at if this SE falls through, but in reality the SE is a better choice for me. It gets pretty snowy up here and even at stock ride height I sometimes end up scraping off the top layer of snow on the road haha. Wouldn't want to put an SVT kit through that.

Yeah I mean I am not too concerned with aesthetic stuff, the SE has a bunch of scratches and scrapes, but if I got an SVT I'd want it to look good. Plus my reasoning for getting an SE in the first place over an SVT still stands; it would be a DD and would be driven in the winter as well as needing to be decent on gas and reasonable insurance rates. SE Sport is only at $560 (+$150 for sellers processing/storing fees) right now with about a day left on the auction so I'd have all my mods to put on it as well as more than enough left over to do a full suspension overhaul and still have some left over.
Was that the blue one on eBay? Car looked pretty decent for the price.

Yeah it was. Came from a wholesaler in York, great guy to deal with, he even told AAA the condition was poor when he saw how high it booked to lessen the difference between what I paid and the value so I'd pay less in tax on it. The struts might as well be nonexistent in the back so kind of funny when you hit a big bump and the rear bounces all over the place and there's a bunch of small dents as well as some scratches and scrapes, but the motor runs like my SE did when I brought it home at 78K, really strong and got great gas mileage on the way home. Clutch is really strong as well and the trans shifts very smoothly, now time to start the mod swapping haha.

Yeah it was. Came from a wholesaler in York, great guy to deal with, he even told AAA the condition was poor when he saw how high it booked to lessen the difference between what I paid and the value so I'd pay less in tax on it. The struts might as well be nonexistent in the back so kind of funny when you hit a big bump and the rear bounces all over the place and there's a bunch of small dents as well as some scratches and scrapes, but the motor runs like my SE did when I brought it home at 78K, really strong and got great gas mileage on the way home. Clutch is really strong as well and the trans shifts very smoothly, now time to start the mod swapping haha.
Great to hear! Good luck with it... SE's don't get enough love around here.

Looks like I made out fairly well. I got rear ended on Wednesday by a Nissan truck. This is all thats wrong. And the kids who hit me is giving me cash to fix it.

IMAG0005.jpg

IMAG0004.jpg

A good day with the bumper off and it should be good as new!

Thanks, I like SE's, this one is already getting very similar mileage to the old contour, so easy to get great mileage out of them! Swapped most of the leather yesterday (pass. seat is out but leather is not in, that's where my amp goes so when I install that I'll put it in), pre-98 sail panels, short shifter went in, and SVT rims went on. Every single rim and lug nut was rusted to the hub and rotor and apparently no one thought to put anti-sieze on them. My back and legs are killing me from trying to get leverage on them, and the plastic base that the shift tower bolts screw into had red loctite in it from the factory (grrr) so one of them stopped doing anything, turns out it broke the threaded sleeve loose in the plastic and was just spinning that so I ended up having to break the bolt and extract what was left and the sleeve out.

That's not so bad crack, still sucks for sure, but you could have ended up like me, good that you didn't!

Thanks, I like SE's, this one is already getting very similar mileage to the old contour, so easy to get great mileage out of them! Swapped most of the leather yesterday (pass. seat is out but leather is not in, that's where my amp goes so when I install that I'll put it in), pre-98 sail panels, short shifter went in, and SVT rims went on. Every single rim and lug nut was rusted to the hub and rotor and apparently no one thought to put anti-sieze on them. My back and legs are killing me from trying to get leverage on them, and the plastic base that the shift tower bolts screw into had red loctite in it from the factory (grrr) so one of them stopped doing anything, turns out it broke the threaded sleeve loose in the plastic and was just spinning that so I ended up having to break the bolt and extract what was left and the sleeve out.

That's not so bad crack, still sucks for sure, but you could have ended up like me, good that you didn't!

I've been there lol... I spent 3 lovely hours removing my exhaust and y-pipe and drilling out broken studs the other day.
One of these days we'll have to set up a meet and get the SE's together.

Back