• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Tach

I put a Mystique cluster in my Contour and the fuel gauge operates backwards. Tach works fine though.

That's because you didn't get a fully-compatible cluster. If you have a pre98, you need to get a pre98 Misty cluster. 1998, then you need a 1998. 98.5+...98.5+....

Are the conectors all there all i would have to do is change them out no wirring

im in the same boat as u. However, i have an early 95 model that has the mechanical cable driven speedo, so i don't think mine has any of the wiring for a tach. I haven't confirmed it tho

I did a cluster swap about 2 years ago from the standard cluster to the sport cluster. I have the Zetec 4-cylinder. I went to the junkyard and found a 4-cylinder Contour that had the sport cluster. I got it home and installed it in my Contour. It runs perfectly with no issues. All I did was "plug & play" pretty much. No modifications needed whatsoever.

What I'm trying to say is get the cluster that matches your engine. Don't try to put a V6 sport cluster in a 4-cylinder Contour or vise versa.

im in the same boat as u. However, i have an early 95 model that has the mechanical cable driven speedo, so i don't think mine has any of the wiring for a tach. I haven't confirmed it tho

The wiring should be there just like any other year. You just have to find an early-95 cluster with tach of the same engine type.

Any Mystique will have a tach, so hunt around for a 95 Mystique cluster.

Is it possible to keep the cable speedo and put it in a later cluster? I've never taken apart a cable speedo cluster before.

Is it possible to keep the cable speedo and put it in a later cluster? I've never taken apart a cable speedo cluster before.

It might be possible, from looking at it briefly it looks like you can just drill a hole in the case and feed the cable thru..not positive tho

Probably with a good amount of wiring. The early-95's still used a VSS on the transmission, but not to control the speedometer or odometer. It was for PCM/ECU use only. The cable took care of the gauge cluster. You would have to compare the wiring of both the early-95 and late-95 to 00 and determine what needs to be added/changed.

That's because you didn't get a fully-compatible cluster. If you have a pre98, you need to get a pre98 Misty cluster. 1998, then you need a 1998. 98.5+...98.5+....

I think instead of spending another $30 on a cluster, I'll just reverse the polarity of the sending unit. Thanks, at least now I know why it works that way.

Back