• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT Scam - SE Michigan Area

Berkel

Hard-core CEG'er

^ This is the craiglist ad. The pictures look great, 3L installed by Bagged, low miles.

--------------------
Hey guys just giving an update.

We both settled down and he's accepted to give half my deposit back when he sells the car, which is way more than I could ask.

I edited out my scam comments since a "scammer" would never send money back to anybody. He's still a little hot headed but we worked it out.

I ended everything on a good note and told him GLWS.

Disclaimer:
The car looks very different from the pictures. Those are 4 years old.
The body is 5/10 and the interior 5/10 up front and 9/10 in back. (10/10 on a 12 year old car is minimal scratches/dings, no rust, large dents, mis-aligned body panels)
The drivetrain is sound, though the brakes felt weird.
The engine is a Taurus engine with 38k miles in 2009.. so it's not a Escape engine with 35k miles

If you want a detailed list feel free to PM me!

Take care guys!

Kevin

Jeez I just peeked in to. I remember him telling me what he was asking for it and we all had a good laugh about it. I even pointed out to him the condition of the body. That's why I sign all the engine compartments boys if your looking at a car and have questions and my name is on it call me I'm always more than happy to let people know what i know. Sorry about your situation berkel. Call me in the morning and I'll put a call on him and see if I can't help

Jeez I just peeked in to. I remember him telling me what he was asking for it and we all had a good laugh about it. I even pointed out to him the condition of the body. That's why I sign all the engine compartments boys if your looking at a car and have questions and my name is on it call me I'm always more than happy to let people know what i know. Sorry about your situation berkel. Call me in the morning and I'll put a call on him and see if I can't help
Ahh Hey Scotty I didn't know you still surfed the forums. I don't really want to get back at him.. I basically wanted to make sure no one else on the boards got scammed like I did :)

I have a few other cars in the works.. I'll call you mid-summer for some suspension work and maybe some exhaust stuff too.. cool? You've always been a great guy.

(unless you have a black SVT you want to get rid of ;) )

Did he give u your money back?
Nope. He said he had other offers in the beginning.. and I only had 9 days to buy a car so I put $400 down to hold the car so I wouldn't lose it. Dumb, I know. I'll never wire money again.

I understand that though.. a deposit is a deposit.

My mom and dad were there too and tried to be nice to his parents but he sent them back inside. We tried to get $200 back and let him keep $200 for his troubles but he was real upset.

I think he was upset since he wanted the car gone. Am I in the wrong? My old TRed was 11 years old and perfect by the time I got rid of it.

I'll call him and see if I can get your loot back. He shouldn't keep it if he didn't tell u the condition. He's always been fairly nice to deal with on my end as far as his repairs and when I did the 3l so maybe if I call him up and tell him your a friend of mine you can get resolve. That car was just here about a month ago I did a diff and a new clutch

Thanks for the heads up - Great to see the help offered in here. Maybe you will get some deposit back ;)

If someone made an offer on a car I was selling, and put down a deposit to hold the car. That would lead me to believe that they wanted to buy the car. If the buyer came over with a reason why he could no longer buy the car, do you think I would return his deposit? Hell no! Thats what a deposit is for, to hold the car.

Now that said, it's not right that he didn't mention these things in the for sale ad. Before you put down the deposit, did you ask for and recieve pictures of the car from all angles, under the hood, and interior? Some of these issues might have been discovered if proper pictures were taken.

If someone made an offer on a car I was selling, and put down a deposit to hold the car. That would lead me to believe that they wanted to buy the car. If the buyer came over with a reason why he could no longer buy the car, do you think I would return his deposit? Hell no! Thats what a deposit is for, to hold the car.

Now that said, it's not right that he didn't mention these things in the for sale ad. Before you put down the deposit, did you ask for and recieve pictures of the car from all angles, under the hood, and interior? Some of these issues might have been discovered if proper pictures were taken.

my brain hurts just reading this.

I understand man, I wasn't expecting my deposit back if I backed out on the deal. But I also wasn't expecting the dude to lie about the body.

I conversed with this guy for 2 weeks.. asking about the condition and the paint.. and all he ever talked about was the 3 Liter. He always ensured me that everything was fine. I just can't believe the pictures he sent me were 4 years old.. and he lied about the engine, and about the paint, and the condition of the car.

The car had so many problems that my head was spinning.. just thinking how I would fix them all. Sure it had a good drivetrain.. but to most of us.. a car is not just a device to get from point A to point B.. we want it to look good too. And that's what he made me believe 100%.

Updated first post.

------
Thanks Scott, if you're the one that got to him ;)

/thread

Back