• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT MTX 75 - will a 99 Cougar MTX 75 work

enduro

CEG'er
Will a MTX 75 transmission from a 1999 V6 Cougar work in a 1998 SVT contour.

Everything I've read says that it'll work but when I talk to the wreckers they say it wont.
I desperately need a MTX 75 and apparently the only V6 one I can find in all of western Canada is in a 99 Cougar.

Thanks , that's what I thought. Every pinhead auto wrecker I've talked to say the transmission wont work. One even insisted I supply my VIN before he'd sell me a tranny from a 1999 Cougar. If you tell the wreckers the tranny is for an SVT, these retards will tell you the only transmission that'll fit is the "special" SVT mtx 75.

I've spent the entire day looking for an MTX replacement after the POS differential blew up in my car. My only options right now are to find another MTX 75 or haul the car off to the dump.

They may be that way from past experience

They may be that way from past experience

No doubt the wreckers have learned the hard way to be certain that the parts they are selling you will work for you. Until you have been on the other side of the counter listening to whiner after whiner wanting to return the parts because it won't fit, you wouldn't understand.

You can thank their attitude to the countless hassles they had long before you showed up wanting a cougar transmission for your svt.

I work in the auto salvage industry and the interchange for the contour and cougar trans is the same. It is also very common now days to start off by getting the vin for the car you are trying to find parts for, so in the future, I would get used to it. You are supposed to match ID numbers when replacing the MTX-75 as there are variations within the interchange. All things considered and based on previous posts, any V6 trans from this chassis will work. Good luck with your search.

Back