• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SVT CAMS INSTALL IN A COUGAR 2.5 6V year 1999 (European)

Rudy

CEG'er
hi guys,
I need your help figuring this out. I bought a set of SVT cams to upgrade my Duratec.... I removed my stock cams and tried to install those I received but they didn't fit under my cam caps.
Here are the pics of the cams I received. These do not fit my Cougar's Duratec. The ring pointed with red arrows is larger and do not fit my cam caps. Its diameter is 2 or 3 millimeters larger than my stock cams. Can you tell me what cams these are???

http://www.newcougar.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=4161&catid=newimages
http://www.newcougar.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=4169&catid=newimages
http://www.newcougar.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=4153&catid=newimages
http://www.newcougar.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=4137&catid=newimages
http://www.newcougar.org/gallery/showimage.php?i=4145&catid=newimages

I bought these cams from a CEG and NECO member who is pretty much sure these cams are from a CSVT 2000. If you guys have a set of CSVT cams, please, can you tell me the measures of that ring?
I have to add that my stock cams have 36 theet chain wheels and those I bought have 42 theet chain wheels but this is not the issue. The issue is the diameter of that ring pointed with red arrows on the pics that is way bigger (at least 2 millimeters) than the same ring on my stock cams. Are these cams CSVT cams and, if they are, any idea why they do not fit? Please help me finding an answer!!!
If it can help these are the measures of the cams in the pics:
the wheel is 42 theet and 4.1 inches in diameter. The rings that do not fits are 1.88 inches or 47.5millimeters (diameter) and 0.2 inches or 5.1millimeters (thickness).
Thank you guys for any help you can provide.

Rudy

Yes, those are the links. Thanks.

Yes, those are the links. Thanks.

thank you hylix for providing working links to the pics. I'm not sure... This thread was already posted on NECO forum but they couldn't figure it out; they sueggested to post it here (3L section) since here are more knowledgeable guys.

Hi Rudy; i have a set of 42 tooth cams. I will dig them out later and measure them for you.

Can you post up the part #s so we can compare ..... G.

I can check my cams tonight when I get home from work if gorman doesn't beat me to it. The extra teeth I believe relates to later model cars, but I haven't seen anyone having problems before.

Hi Rudy; i have a set of 42 tooth cams. I will dig them out later and measure them for you.

Can you post up the part #s so we can compare ..... G.

Hi Rudy;

i've checked my cams and this what i have,

1S7E 6A269 DA..... 26.90 - 26.92mm........(EX-LH)

1S7E 6A268 DA......26.88mm...................(EX-RH)

1S7E 6A267 DA..... 26.92mm...................(IN-LH)

1S7E 6A266 DA......26.90mm...................(IN-RH)

I have checked the set of 36 tooth SE cam's i took out and they measure 26.85mm at the cap lobes.

I did a quick google search and i can confirm from CEG archive and Taurus forum, that these cam's are indeed late 2000 SVT parts.

what have you found in your car ? ...... G.

Just came in from organising a bit of stuff in the shed and took these pics. Hope they help - I don't have a gauge to measure the diameter but looks like gorman got you what you need. While I was at it I counted the teeth on the cam gears - mine have 36 - 2000 SVT cams.

IMG_00000033_zps3ab193fd.jpg

IMG_00000034_zpsda8108be.jpg

I found a set of 36 theet cams in my car....
Gorman, I guess there is something wrong in your measurement or I didn't understand what you mean ;-))).... Are you saying that the diameter of the first protuding ring right after the wheel chain is 27millimeters (only 1=1/16inches)??? What I'm looking at is the diameter of the first protuding ring (u can clearly see it on the pic posted by Heywood or you can look at my pics); that is the first (from the chain wheel) protuding ring on the cams that fit under the cam cap. Your measure seems too small.... maybe a inch/mm conversion error? I guess the cam axle itself is bigger that 27mm... as soon as I can I'll look at my cams to see if a part number is on them.
thanks
Rudy... ops... happy Easter to you all.

Hi rudy; 36 and 42 tooth cam's shouild all be the same.

The 26mm measurement is the diameter of the cam where the cap's bolt over. The thrust caps are the same i think... i didn't measure those.

26.90mm = 1.0595 inches.

Don't forget you have to rotate the engine when you install the cam's otherwise the lobes push on the valves and might be why the thrust bearing caps are not sitting down straight away.

hope that helps some ... G.

Nope. Unfortunately this doesn't help me. I bought a set of CSVT cams (at least the seller said they are CSVT cams). and I couldn't install on my Cougar's duratec. Beside the chain wheel being different (mine is 36 theet and the CSVT cams I got are 42) also the cams didn't fit because of the larger diameter of the ring that is pointed with the red arrow in the pics. What I'm looking for is the diameter of that ring on the CSVT cams. It cannot be 27mm... the ring on the CSVT cams I got is 47.4 mm in diameter and the same ring on my stock cams is about a couple mm smaller. So it should be around 42 or 43 mm, it cannot be 27 mm. Just put a caliber on it and see what the diameter of that ring is on your CSVT cams... please.
I guess the 36 and 42 theet cams are not interchangeable or what I got are not CSVT cams.....
Thank you guys for helping me.

Hi Rudy; i'll dig out the cam's again and measure that.

In the meantime post up the part #s so we can look them up .... G.

the part number (if that is the part number) is ink stamped only on the cam with the water pulley. It is on 3 rows... the 1st row I can only read 12 but there may have been 1, 2 or 3 more digits before that are no more visible. hard to read the other numbers... they are written with a kind of strange font and quite worn down.
so the numbers I can see is 12 on the 1st row, 29806 on the second row and 48b2 on the 3rd row. XXX12 29806 48B2... but again is hard to understand if it's a 9 or a 8 or a 8 or a B or maybe something else. I hope this can help you guys understanding what cams I was sold LOL. Thanks again.
Rudy

Hi Rudy; i checked the cam's and the journal is 26.91mm.

The part number for 36 tooth SVT cam's is F73E 6A26 then 6 7 8 or 9 then two letters .... if you don't got that, or the last two letters are CA...then you don't got SVT cam's :crazy: .... G.

Gorman, he doesn't need the measurement from the journal, he needs the diameter of the ring near the gears that is used to locate the cams.

Just throwing this out there but the cams have the orange dye stripe on them which usually indicates SVT cams.

Gorman, he doesn't need the measurement from the journal, he needs the diameter of the ring near the gears that is used to locate the cams.

Just throwing this out there but the cams have the orange dye stripe on them which usually indicates SVT cams.
Hi tsSVT; i don't think it matters now since he's selling them in the classifieds. The cam's have part #s too, which were never clarified.

Just for the record, it measures 42.90mm. The F5 XXXXXX 3.0L 42 tooth cam's measure 44.55mm, this may be what he bought .... G.

Thank you tsSVT, that is what I needed and thank you Gorman for giving me the measure (finally LOL). I still do not know what cams I got.... I was told CSVT cams but that damned ring it's even bigger than 44.5 mm... its diameter is 47.5mm !!!!! I didn't measure my stock cams ring but it was something like 3 or 4 mm smaller in diameter.... So I guess if a find real CSVT cams they will fit.
Anyone as an idea on what cams I got? I put them on sale but I wish to sell them for what they are.... for sure they are not SVT 2.5 6V cams unless the size of that ring changes drastically between the 36 and the 42 theet types.

Back