• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Suspension upgrade.

newb

Hard-core CEG'er
Ok, since the drivetrane and brakes,wheels tires are done its time for suspension.

Im looking for.opinions on coil over set ups. Ill be ruunning 18's and will bedoin auro crossing. Wont be usedfor dd'ing .
please lmk your opinions

I have been running Ksports for a couple of years now. The rest of my suspension is stock. They are much stiffer than stock but I wouldn't say they are uncomfortable to drive on the street. I do not track or autox my car ever so I can't comment on how they perform in those situations. They are low, I would say they start at about a 2 inch drop and go lower from there. I drive the car when the weather permits, so no winters and very little rain and so far they have held up very well. They are adjustable, I have been running the rears at 1/2 stiff and the fronts at 1/4 stiff and that seems to work well for me. There is zero dive and squat and much less body roll than stock. I think with some track/autox under your belt you could dial it in to make it perform well.

I would not hesitate to get these again. When I installed the coils I also did all new mounts, balljoints and anything else that was worn, so it was a huge improvement over my worn out setup with a cracked spring.

If you look into coilovers for use on the track, look into KSport RRs. These are more aggressive in tuning the valving as well as the spring rates as you can choose your own spring rates when you order them.

Konis with Ground Controls will be the best autox setup as you can raise them up to near factory ride height. this is a good thing since you really screw up the suspension geometry of the car and make it handle worse when lowering it. going lower then 1-1.5" lower makes it even worse. PM Jaged and he will tell you the same thing as he has tried many different setups on his autox Cougar.

First of all.. it's been a while since I've been on here.

Second, Koni/GC's all the way. Koni's are some of the better OTS shocks you can buy in the cheaper end of the damper spectrum. I'm currently running K-Sports on my car (to be fair, it is a Mazda 2) and they are perfectly fine for DD. But if you want the best handling performance possible, go with Koni/GC. Koni shocks will out perform any reasonably priced JDM coilovers every single time.

Third vote for Konis with Ground Controls from an experienced autocrosser/track driver. Konis are proven quality and actually have factory support for when you need them rebuilt and/or revalved, plus Ground Control quality and support is top-notch and customizable to your particular setup needs. Ground Control sleeves use standard 2.5" ID race springs you can source from any number of brands in any length or rate you want, unlike the custom-wound springs of K-Sports. No comparison for serious motorsports users.

Back