• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Surging under partial/moderate throttle

JimTLR

New CEG'er
I'm a brand new owner of a 2000 CSVT and already have some questions.

I'm right at 63,000 miles and over the weekend the family and I made about a 400 mile trip in the car. At first I thought it was just me being sensative about the car and the throttle - but my passengers noticed this as well.

On light to moderate throttle (as when carrying the wife and in-laws in the car) - we all noticed a bit of surging. It definitely smooths out when given a little more gas - but for smooth, mild acceleration it just kind of sputters - not cutting out but just kind of rhythmic on and off power.

A better way of describing this is a VERY mild form of jerking as when you're learning to drive a stick and can't get the hang of the clutch.

It's been suggested that I clean the MAF sensor and re-set the computer.

First of all - what's the proceedure on these two jobs?

Second - any other thoughts on what this might be and how to correct it - short of bringing the car to the stealership?

Thanks in advance!

(PS - already searched and didn't come up with much!)

Mine did that when the plugs and wires were starting to breakdown. It was a very subtle misfire in my case.

New plugs and wires took care of it and it's been about four years. Probably coming due again....

Steve

ProjeectSHO already answered what I would check first, but as a quick note; I wanted to make sure that you realized that the search feature on the forums isn't going to be very effective for a while. This is a brand new forum, and there isn't a history to really search THROUGH, right now.

The best searching would be under the old forums, at:

http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

search there, unless that is where you were referring to in your post.

I'm a brand new owner of a 2000 CSVT and already have some questions.
...It's been suggested that I clean the MAF sensor and re-set the computer.

First of all - what's the proceedure on these two jobs?

Second - any other thoughts on what this might be and how to correct it - short of bringing the car to the stealership?

MAF sensor info on this thread.
http://www.contour.org/ubbthreads/s...ld=1year&Main=1302115&Search=true#Post1302140

You probably want to disconnect the battery before messing with the MAF. That will clear the codes. In the future, you may also pull Fuses 11 and 6 (?) in the Power Distribution Box next to the battery to reset the computer.
Download the 2000 Owners' Manual to confirm the Fuse numbers. www.fleet.ford.com

Last edited:
Well - the 9mm Race wires and new plugs are installed and it seemed to have helped...

However - I absolutely obliterated the oil drain plug while trying to get it loose...Ugh.

..However - I absolutely obliterated the oil drain plug while trying to get it loose...Ugh.

In the future, you should use a 6-point box wrench (12-point box wrenches usually give more trouble).

Sears sells them for $8.

Last edited:
The surging sounds like some of what my car was doing until I replaced the coil pack - again. When it wasn't misfiring it would sort of have spurts of power at mid throttle. I thought it was the IMRC but it works OK. Don't buy Wells brand parts from the AZone. I've had 2 of their parts fail within 6 months.

Back