• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sunroof gear wear

Ric

CEG'er
I have a feeling this is a dead-end question, but is there anywhere to buy the gears to the sunroof motor? The gear that seems more often to need replacement is the one driven by the worm drive from the motor. At least that's the one worn in my car. Ford must have had a vendor manufacture the gear. Lousy plastic/nylon gear that prob gets stripped whenever there's a jam or some resistance.
The other solution I thought of is to find a hand crank handle that would bypass the motor & fit on the turning shaft directly.
Any comments appreciated.
Thanks

I've also got the hand crank. It has been the best thing that has happened to my sunroof. I tried the stronger gears, and I have to say that they are much stronger! and in fact, they never stripped. Instead of stripping, the teeth get misaligned with the worm gear and seize up the motor, requiring a diassemble, realign, reassemble. This became to much of a problem for me, so I got the crank, and all my sunroof troubles went away. :cool:

EDIT: the tan-ish color matched my SE perfectly, which is a lightly lighter tan/grey than the P.Tan SVT interior.

Back