• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sub/Amp/Head unit question

SVTcontourSVT

Hard-core CEG'er
I have a 03 Ford Ranger and am about to install a system in. Its a standard cab so im tucking in a tight box that will fit 2 12's. I'll be running JL Audio w3v2's and a cheaper 1800 watt kenwood amp. Do I need to change out my head unit for an upgraded one? I would really perfer not change it as I enjoy the 6-disc cd changer. Will a stock headunit really decrease quality of sound. Let me know your input on this. Thanks -Stu

no you don't have to change your head unit

no you don't have to change your head unit

what you need are a set of pac adapters available at any BEST BUY , CIRCUIT CITY etc. you will connect them to the wires going to your rear speakers somewhere under a panel out of sight they will step down the amplified signal to a rca adapter that your can plug into your amp, DO NOT USE THE HIGH LEVEL INPUTS ON THE AMP if it has them. pac adapters are a better way to go.

also

also

I can understand keeping ur factory 6 disc, However I would not recomend 2 12's behind the seat, its impossible to get enough cubic feet of box for them. One 12 or two 10's would be as big as i'ld go. Keep in mind your system is only as good as its weekest link, save some money on the subs and upgrade your 5x7's to a good 6x8 from infinity,jbl,alpine,etc.

By the way I was the Manager of 12vlt dept at a circuit city for 3 years and I owned a ranger so I know what your dealing with.

hope that helps

Wll I just found out the JL's wouldent fit anyways. I'm downgrading to 2 10" JL w3v2's. I'm wondering, if you guys had any suggestions for a decent amp to power the subs (300RMS). My price range is right around $200 and I need somthing thats smaller for lack of room. Thanks

Wll I just found out the JL's wouldent fit anyways. I'm downgrading to 2 10" JL w3v2's. I'm wondering, if you guys had any suggestions for a decent amp to power the subs (300RMS). My price range is right around $200 and I need somthing thats smaller for lack of room. Thanks

What ohm did you want to run them at SQ or SPL?

Downgraded a little more.....JL Audio Original 10w3's

Its a 250RMS Watt sub and its also a 4ohm sub.....Heres the amp im thinking about, please let me know what you think......Rockford Fosgate P10002....pushes 250RMS Watts x 2 Channels@4 Ohms......exactly what I need.

what you need are a set of pac adapters available at any BEST BUY , CIRCUIT CITY etc. you will connect them to the wires going to your rear speakers somewhere under a panel out of sight they will step down the amplified signal to a rca adapter that your can plug into your amp, DO NOT USE THE HIGH LEVEL INPUTS ON THE AMP if it has them. pac adapters are a better way to go.

Or you could get a line out converter, which would probably be much cheaper... Uses 4 speaker wires and gives you 2 rca outputs, then you just have to wire up a remote turn on. Just be aware if you go the stock radio route with a line out converter, if you shut off the radio with the vehicle still on you make encounter reverb. What causes this is that the accessory wire on the unit that turn on the radio, turns on your amp as well, and when you turn of your radio at the knob, it doesn't shut off the accessory wire. This leaves your amp on, and no signal going to it. If interference enters the line then you can get that reverb. I suggest just turning down the radio instead of turning it off, it will prevent this from happening b/c then there is at least some sort of signal being sent. You could install a switch or something to turn the amp off if you really want to shut off your factory radio. Hope this helps you a little on your decision...

Id say you should change your head unit. The sound will sound much much better if you get a new head unit. They arent really hard to install when i first learned. I have a job dealing with installation on car stereos. Once you buy a head unit you wont be disappointed because it makes your stock speakers 50 times better than when you had your stock radio. I have a Kenwood 332 in my car now. I think the best quality ones out there is Panasonic and Kenwood. You wont go wrong with both. But make sure that they each have a Sub output and sub controls.

Happy Hunting

Well I happend to get a pretty nice head unit for free from my friend because he no longer has a car. Here is everything I have or ordered:

-Sound Off Audio(2)10" box for reg cab 5.25"(+5/8 inch depth)=5.91 inches
-2 JL Audio 10W3 4 Ohms.....its a 250RMS Watt sub....
-Rockford Fosgate P10002
250W x 2 @ 4 Ohms RMS
500W x 2 @ 2 Ohms RMS
1000W x 1 @ 4 Ohms RMS Bridged

-JBL GTO8627 6x8 Speakers (Front and Back)
-Kenwood KDC-MP528 CD Player, 50W x 4
-Soundquest 1200W 4 Guage Amp Wiring Kit
-Scosche FD1423B CD Player Mount

ya youve def. got some good stuff there. Ive got P1 in my trunk now and they sound nice. I got them each for $33. and an amp for $70. Im thinking about upgrading to 12 inch kickers and a Kenwood 1,000 watt amp.

Back