• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stock UIM modify to fit SVT TB

CodyTRX

CEG'er
Title says it all. I'm just wondering how I would go about modifying the opening of the stock manifold to accept the SVT TB...See, I currently have a SVT manifold ON my car while the stock one is not..I decided to sand and polish the entire manifold and now I plan on sending it to Extrude Hone for the process but it's all worthless if the manifold is being choked at the opening. Can someone point me to a thread that I'm not seeing or help me out? :help:

Thanks.

Title says it all. I'm just wondering how I would go about modifying the opening of the stock manifold to accept the SVT TB...See, I currently have a SVT manifold ON my car while the stock one is not..I decided to sand and polish the entire manifold and now I plan on sending it to Extrude Hone for the process but it's all worthless if the manifold is being choked at the opening. Can someone point me to a thread that I'm not seeing or help me out? :help:

Thanks.

svt tb is needed along with the svt throttle cable and bracket.

I'm not sure I understand whay you are trying to do.

If you are trying to use the SVT throttle body on the non-SVT intake manifold, the opening in the manifold where the throttle body bolts up is smaller in diameter than the throttle body.

It has been a few years since this was a popular modification. It was more common to use the SVT intake manifold and throttle body together. What I do remember from back then is that the intake opening was opened up with a die grinder (or Dremel) to make it better match the SVT throttle body. I don't know if there is a gasket available to match it to or not. It isn't much, it can probably be done free hand. Make sure you do something to keep chips out of the intake. The cylinders won't like it.

Sorry if what I said was too vague. Okay, I have a stock manifold that is not on my car currently and I've since sanded it down and I'm getting ready to polish the entire thing. I plan on sending it to Extrude Hone so they can run their process through it and then I plan to put it back on my car in place of the SVT UIM that's already on it. I should have done this with the SVT UIM since the opening is already cut for the 60mm TB but I didn't. Now, I've put COUNTLESS hours into my manifold and now I'm ready to dump a bunch of money into it and send it to EH. My question still stands. Any one of you guys that have done it or heard about it just give me any info that you have.

Thanks!!

Sorry if what I said was too vague. Okay, I have a stock manifold that is not on my car currently and I've since sanded it down and I'm getting ready to polish the entire thing. I plan on sending it to Extrude Hone so they can run their process through it and then I plan to put it back on my car in place of the SVT UIM that's already on it. I should have done this with the SVT UIM since the opening is already cut for the 60mm TB but I didn't. Now, I've put COUNTLESS hours into my manifold and now I'm ready to dump a bunch of money into it and send it to EH. My question still stands. Any one of you guys that have done it or heard about it just give me any info that you have.

Thanks!!
Your fine...EH will widen the inlet when they start the EH process. SO don't touch the inlet area. :)

That is why the svt manifold has a 65mm opening already.....because of that process they used.

Your fine...EH will widen the inlet when they start the EH process. SO don't touch the inlet area. :)

That is why the svt manifold has a 65mm opening already.....because of that process they used.
Thanks.

Is it really a 65MM opening? I would have figured 60MM to match the throttle body.

i've read some horror stories about members getting their UIMs back damaged. You might want to port match the UIM and get it extrude honed before you polish that thing anymore. ...G.

i've read some horror stories about members getting their UIMs back damaged. You might want to port match the UIM and get it extrude honed before you polish that thing anymore. ...G.

You get it EH first...you don't want to open the ports and then send it in...because then they will enlarge it even more...and you don't want your runners being larger then the gasket. :blackeye:

Gorman is correct EH has been known to damage Intake manifolds. So make sure to take pictures of all the fittings tubes etc etc...and save the pictures incase something goes wrong....you will have proof!!!

You get it EH first...you don't want to open the ports and then send it in...because then they will enlarge it even more...and you don't want your runners being larger then the gasket. :blackeye:

Gorman is correct EH has been known to damage Intake manifolds. So make sure to take pictures of all the fittings tubes etc etc...and save the pictures incase something goes wrong....you will have proof!!!
Oh, most definately. I've read a ton of info on broken PCV tubes and all that. Here's what the manifold currently looks like, it's been hand sanded halfway, the back still needs finished then I'll move to a higher grit, then polish. But AFTER I send it to EH. I've even read that EH have poped the core plugs out and not put them back in!
100_6705.jpg

Back