• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stock pre98 replacement bulb source

todras

Pretty fly for a white guy *cowbell*
Since the dealer charges a ton for stock replacement green bulbs, my goal was to find an OEM looking bulb. Took my stock bulb to the parts store and discovered a 2721 is identical to the stock bulb but it is clear. Thanks to Aussie Ford for pointing me to Parts-express.com for green bulb covers. I looked everywhere & couldn't find any but these appear to fit perfect. You need to order the .2" covers found here. 5 colors to choose from if you don't like stock green. I know some ppl just put LED's in but they seem to have a habit of burning out on ppl. It's about $4 shipped for the covers and you'll have 10 of them and the 2721's are about $3 per pair.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

none of my stock bulbs were green :shrug: the green lighting came from the gauge and HVAC faces :shrug:

none of my stock bulbs were green :shrug: the green lighting came from the gauge and HVAC faces :shrug:

Did you buy the car new? and if you did, do you have the interior lighting option? If your answer to both questions is yes then that is a first for me....

All of the door pocket lights that I have seen are green as shown by the middle bulb in the picture posted above.

The instrument lighting is accomplished by green lens covers for the light pockets of one sort or another, and using clear bulbs. The clock has one of those little bulb covers on it as is shown on the left hand bulb. Otherwise it shows up orange. The door pocket lights like I said are actually a green bulb that most OEM manufacturers are no longer making and Ford is not carrying.

If you have clear bulbs in your door pockets then you just don't know what your missing........ the beauty of it all, ..... just might be the crowning touch to the whole car ...... LOL :laugh:

Now, if you are missing the light group we can help you install it door handle switch, lighted lock cylinders and all :laugh:

AF

Did you buy the car new? and if you did, do you have the interior lighting option? If your answer to both questions is yes then that is a first for me....

All of the door pocket lights that I have seen are green as shown by the middle bulb in the picture posted above.

The instrument lighting is accomplished by green lens covers for the light pockets of one sort or another, and using clear bulbs. The clock has one of those little bulb covers on it as is shown on the left hand bulb. Otherwise it shows up orange. The door pocket lights like I said are actually a green bulb that most OEM manufacturers are no longer making and Ford is not carrying.

If you have clear bulbs in your door pockets then you just don't know what your missing........ the beauty of it all, ..... just might be the crowning touch to the whole car ...... LOL :laugh:

Now, if you are missing the light group we can help you install it door handle switch, lighted lock cylinders and all :laugh:

AF

I dont think i need help installing anything. if you have seen my posts including my gauges you would understand ;). i think it did come with the lighting option as the wiring for the door handle pockets is there and the lock switchs are lighted. i believe the bulbs have been burned out since before i got the car from my dad (who bought it in 97 with 12K miles on it). i know my clock didnt have a cover on it and it was always green :shrug: till i changed it. i think my car is weird as the ford badges and the words "contour GL" on the outside are all gold trimmed instead of the standard silver :shrug:

I dont think i need help installing anything. if you have seen my posts including my gauges you would understand ;). i think it did come with the lighting option as the wiring for the door handle pockets is there and the lock switchs are lighted. i believe the bulbs have been burned out since before i got the car from my dad (who bought it in 97 with 12K miles on it). i know my clock didnt have a cover on it and it was always green :shrug: till i changed it. i think my car is weird as the ford badges and the words "contour GL" on the outside are all gold trimmed instead of the standard silver :shrug:

One of the Gold tours neat! I have actually only seen one of those and that was in the JY. The only trim that was not damaged by some idiot was the antenna trim, and now that is on my wife's car :laugh:
95 power antenna.jpg

As for ever needing help, I propose that at one time or another we all need it in some form or fashion....... and when that obscure moment in time occurs we're here for ya ....... :cool:

i dont think mine is a "gold package" tour. its not an SVT and the antenna base is not gold. its a base model 97 zetec. i dont even have power windows (not that i care):shrug:

heres pics of the only gold trim i have.
Fordlogo640.jpg

contourl640.jpg

You know my friend, That is exactly how I got into this whole mess..... no power windows.... LOL :laugh:

My 95 was the plane jane version too, and I'd bet with the same options, but the cloth seats were not really compatible for my wife to take the dog with her, and she could not roll the rear pass window up or dn when she needed to. SOOOOOO..... I fixed that for sure:
Added power windows, leather power / fold down seats, the tach I did just for me :laugh:, power antenna, fog lights, rear disc brakes, 98+ trunk (spoiler & sideskirts getting painted), taurus coin/cup holder, alloy wheels, auto down pass window, and dual fans. Mystique door trims w/ under door lights, SE sway bars coming soon. About every time I go to the JY or check out this site something seems to come up that needs to be added to that darn car. Nowadays she get real suspicious when I barrow hers for a day.....:laugh:

I like the gold, btw where do you park it LOL......jk

This is what I wanna do. Is there a how-to somewhere for this. Ill have to go to a junk yard and try and find the parts but I really wanna do these.
There are several how to's that cover various parts of this, I am currently working on one the combines all the info to do this, but it is a work in progress for now.

A couple of things to get you started here, what year of tour are we working with, and what options do you know of that you already have in your doors. I might also suggest that since you are just starting this project you might want to consider addding the wiring for the heated mirrors if you don't have them. The non heated mirrors will work the same and you can add the heat option later, but you would be ready for it. Also this would be a great time to add the auto down feature to the pass side since you would be working on that harness anyway.

I am just going to talk here as if you want / need to add all options to the doors. The wiring harnesses are the same no matter what, the parts will vary.

What to look for:
Find a donor car (best if the interior is in your color) that has the lighted entry group. This can be determined by the white ring around the exterior lock cylinder. When you remove the door panels and vapor barrier you should see by the big hole towards the rear where you gain access to the power lock two connectors one white the other black. If you want to do the heated mirrors that connector should have 5 wires to it.

What you need:
All 4 door handle pocket trims with lenses for the little green lights.

Wiring harnesses from all doors. Remember you will be reinstalling them.

The door lock cylinders and exterior door handle switch. You must remove the exterior door handle to remove the lock cylinder, and it also makes it easier to remove the handle switch. These can be fitted into your exterior handles, but if, as in my case, the car was the same color I just took the exterior handles it made the install easier.

[in doing my 99 I also took the interior door handles because I wanted the white markings that show when the doors are locked easier]

I also suggest removing one of the body side of the door connectors and cutting as long of a pigtail with it as possible. This is because to make these work correctly you might have to add power from a particular place and the pin in your body connector may not be there. IE: adding the heated mirrors, and having the door pocket lights come on with the headlight switch rather than on all the time. It is up to you how you want it all to function. Strictly speaking this is not necessary for auto down, or just the lighted entry, or if you already have the little green lights and heated mirrors.

That's what you need to get started, please let me know how you want to proceed and we can get you there :laugh:

Regards,
AF

:shocked: Um just WOW.... I was just talkin about the lighted pockets. Can i just swap out the wiring from a set of doors that has them or will that not work?
As I want to change all my interior lights to red, These would come in really nice.:cool:

:shocked: Um just WOW.... I was just talkin about the lighted pockets. Can i just swap out the wiring from a set of doors that has them or will that not work?
As I want to change all my interior lights to red, These would come in really nice.:cool:

Well yes you can add just the door pocket lights, but what year of tour do you have. That's what determines the difficulty of the job.

See when you said you wanted the lighted entry there is a lot to it.

Well yes you can add just the door pocket lights, but what year of tour do you have. That's what determines the difficulty of the job.

See when you said you wanted the lighted entry there is a lot to it.
Well i would normally just tell you to read my signature. But im feeling nice.:laugh:

I have an 00 Mystique.:cool:

Well i would normally just tell you to read my signature. But im feeling nice.:laugh:

I have an 00 Mystique.:cool:

wait a minute while I find my glasses ...... LOL

OK so are you sure you want my help after that..... LOL

Do you have under door lights or just reflectors at the corner of your door panels?

How do you want the lights to work, on all the time like the lock and window switches, or to come on with the head lights?

It is fairly simple to just have them on all the time you just splice them to the lock switch light wire and ground.

To have them come on with the headlights you have to run them to the door connectors and actually add a wire to each side of the connectors (or run it through the on its own) Then connect them to the output side of the dimmer switch.

You will need old style interior door handles and interior trims that have the lenses in them for the lights to shine through.

Being that you have a mystique there is a small chance that you may have a pin in your body harness already. That is something to check. Disconnect one of the connectors by twisting it counterclockwise you will see a white dot on the body connector. That dot is at pin #14 moving counterclockwise you can see if there is a pin at the #10 position. If so it gets easier, if not you can add it, or have them on all the time. Your choice.

What's your pleasure?

Well I had a 96 tour and I really liked those lights, so I guess I just want them on like the tour's were?:shrug:

Also I do have the underdoor lights. I think. The ones on the bottom corner of the door right?

That is good you have those under door lights. I just installed them on my 99 Tour and I figured out how do make it so the one on the door only comes on when you open that door. Not the stock way where both come on. Anyway that is something else. So if you want the door pocket lights to work by the headlight sw then you will need to do some work with your door/body connectors. First thing to check there is what pins you have in the body side of the connector. If you undo it #14 has the white dot on it. Looking at the face of the body side it is numbered counterclockwise and from the white dot #14, 15,1,2,3,etc on around with #'s 16 - 20 in the middle. You will most likely be missing #12 unless you have heated mirrors, and #'s 16,17,19,20. That is what I expect you will not have. You may need a mirror to see the pins, but let me know what you see and we'll go from there.... OK

AF

Meh I dont wanna get too complicated with it. I just wanna have them. Havin them on all the time would be easier right?

Yes just connect / splice them to the lock switch light wire and the black ground. That gives you the lights, you still need to change out the door trims, and interior handles for ones that have the light lens in them, if yours doesn't have them.

That's the simple way.

Back