• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Still don't have an SVT...but close

In terms of handling, the wheel base is very close to the Mini Cooper. So I'm right at home there. The springs are tight and the wheels are low profile. You get a good amount of that feel back into the car and you tell tell it is lightweight. However the bouncy little hatch isn't too much for me. Steering is quick and tight; brakes are grippy. Don't need to get on the brakes too hard unless you're going fast. Combined with the summer only rubber and you can make some quick stops.

Motor is a 1.6L, same displacement as a Mini, and turbo'd. total of 197 hp, and power picks up early-on and I can drive around in 4th and fifth no problem. I use 6th driving to work on back raods doing ~50mph.

Biggest complaint, it lacks boost gauge and a majority of the interior is still related to the base fiesta. But it goes quick and make tiny turbo noises.

I like that car a lot. The interior is really nice IMO, especially the seats. The hatch is kind of small, but so is the car, definitely looks like they put more of an emphasis on rear seat room than they did on hatch space. Still, especially for how small it is, that's a lot of utility. Lightweight and nearly 200hp is also fun, glad to hear the turbo is small enough to eliminate boost lag as I highly doubt the motor needs any boost up top.

Are you going to mod it? Xtascox (Alex) has had incredible performance boosts with just tuning on his MS3, they detune them from the factory to be more liveable but I wonder what you could get out of it with stock parts.

BTW Scott, did you see the wheel spin on the SVT when we were leaving? That road didn't let me move above 15MPH, all the car did with any throttle was step sideways haha.

I sat in one in the Boston Auto Show and was shocked at how much the Recaros hug you. Even sitting still it felt like it'd be a fun car - hope you enjoy it!

Those look like the base model (non-Recaro) seats. whomp

Intake & AccessPort tune will def help wake that ST up.

Last edited:
Yeah, those are the standard ST seats. Recaro seats are a $2k option...and that's alot of mod money. The first thing it needs is mud flaps. It's throwing dirt all over itself.

looks like a cute little baby vader lol.. your almost there you have the S,T just need a V in there somewhere!!

Very nice! Welcome to the ST family....

I put a set of RokBlokz mudflaps on my Focus ST - they make a HUGE difference in how much crap gets tossed all over the sides of the car, but the hatch still gets filthy. They're cheaper than RallyArmor, and are nice and solid.

I haven't had a chance to drive a Fiesta ST yet, but I'd definitely like to compare it to the Focus ST. I have put 22,000 miles on my ST in just over 13 months.

Have you gotten any information for an Octane Academy event yet? I'm trying to figure out when I can get to one, and if it's worth the extra money to let my husband come with me. :laugh:

Quicksight, yep it is a 2014 Fiesta ST.

Alien, No details on an Octane Academy. I drove both the Focus and Fiesta ST's. I think I would have gone with a Focus ST. There is more power and cargo room, but the Fiesta sure was fun to drive. I was also leaving from a Mini Cooper Hardtop, so Fiesta Size doesn't bother me at all. The Focus also had the old-gen Ford Sync with a 3-4" touch screen. Ii'm still not a fan of touch screens in cars...but the Fiesta's was better and I"m in the car about 2 hours a day! Also the Focus ST price wasn't moving. And Focus was a bit more expensive than I'd really wanted to spend. I drive ~20K+ a year, so budget-wise I'm on four year loans and don't have the option to go too crazy. The extra money not spent on Focus means I can still drop dollars on a few mods! I want to do a Cobb Tune for 93 Octane and an air intake. I'm waiting on Cobb to release their versions and update their tuner.

A tune is the best thing I have done to the ST so far. It's how the car should have come from Ford. I have had mine tuned for over 20,000 miles, and it hasn't given me one bit of trouble. I actually saw slight a gas mileage increase, despite the extra workout my right foot gets. I have to use the 91 octane tune, because Montana is still considered the middle of nowhere, so 93 isn't available here. If I could use the 93 octane tune it'd be around 285/310 at the flywheel. That makes me happy. Now if I could just find some pure 93.

Mods are addictive - I can't stop, even on a brand new car, still under warranty. I drive a lot, too, and I plan on keeping the Focus at least until it's paid off, so I bought the Ford extended service plan out to 125,000 miles. That's a long time to not put something different on the car. My next purchase will be an exhaust system - that's the thing I miss the most about the SVT.

Here's the link to the Octane Academy registration - if you have a '13 or '14 ST, you get free admission, and get to beat on Ford's cars around a track instead of your own. You can buy liability insurance from them - when I go, I'll get that, just in case. You can bring a co-driver but it's an extra $400. Not sure if my husband gets to drive or not... :)
http://www.stoctaneacademy.com/register-now

Back