• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Stereo Wiring

Havok

New CEG'er
O.K., so I know there is a place for audio/video, but I am more just troubleshooting in this thread. It has been about 15 years since my last install, and I do for the most part remember what I'm doing. Here is my trouble, general stereo has a total of 4 sets of speaker wires, battery, accessory, ground, and remote wires. I know its hard to know what people do with cars in their own time, but I have a total of 7 wires outside of speaker wires plus what I believe is a factory stereo harness with 4 wires on it.

Here is the bit of information I can give to see if anyone can possibly give me a starting point for the set I need:
Random wires:
2x Black w/Green stripe
Blue w/Black stripe
Orange w/Black stripe
Blue w/Red Stripe
White w/Green stripe
White

Ford connector has:
White w/Red stripe
Black w/Blue stripe
Orange w/White stripe
Black

When i purchased my 99 CSVT, it had RCA cables run already and a blue wire taped running along side for the amplifier. I have a slight idea where to begin with what I believe was the right diagram, stating that I need:

Battery - Orange/Black
Accessory - Blue/Black
Ground - Green/Black

As far as the aforementioned remote wire, i have always run them on the blue running with the RCA cable. Should i just try a random Black/Green and hope I don't blow fuses? And should I just tape the extra wiring up and forget about it?

Black & Green are <probably> grounds, but with power off and the battery disconnected, use a voltmeter and check for resistance to chassis ground on those wires.

I would strongly recommend figuring out what those extra wires do, ignoring them will just allow you to blow some more fuses later.

Back