• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Speedo & Tach Calibration?

Mac

CEG'er
EDIT: I JUST REALIZED THAT THIS POST SHOULD PROBABLY BE IN GENERAL TROUBLESHOOTING, SORRY AND IF IT IS PLEASE MOVE IT TO THE CORRECT THREAD! THANK YOU!

i've been trying to find a "How-To" for the re-calibration procedure for the speedo and tach with no luck.. i've used the search a tone of times and i can find more than enough about taking off the needles and if your careful, you won't have to re-calibrate but nothing about HOW TO do it...

SVTGaugeMod.jpg

As you can see, i did the little SVT logo mod, and as many know, the easiest way to peel back the gauge face is to take off the needle.. now i ended up taking both the speedo and the tach needle off thinking i was going to remove each individual gauge unit to be able to do the mod, when really i didn't have to remove them at all..

so long story short, when i fired her up the first time, my car was idling normal, but tach read 5200rpm's and while i was parked in my garage, i was going 27mph...

after searching around the internet for awhile, i decided just to leave the gauges plugged in, and fire her up again and remove the speedo needle and replace it back at 0mph, and did my best at getting my tach to read at it's actual idle @ 900-950rpm's.. now i know this might not be the BEST or most ACCURATE way to recalibrate, i needed a quick fix until i was able to learn the RIGHT way to re-calibrate the speedo and tach..

the way i re-calibrated wouldn't hurt anything would it? and whats the Best/Most Accurate way to re-calibrate?

thanks,

Drew

wheres the link for the talk about adding that light? I want to do that so it lights up when the secondaries open.

Best way to caibrate the rpm's and speedo is to get a scan tool that tells you everything from check engine codes to your degree of timing. It will tell you your correct rpm's and speed....just make sure you take a friend with you when you set the speedo.

Back