• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Some thoughts on returning to the SVT.....

Phil Rohtla

Hard-core CEG'er
Well, after enjoying some of the finest BMW has to offer, I ran into a slight problem: A blown catalytic converter. Not cheap, and not a DIY for many people. Instead of paying $1400 cdn for a remanufactured unit from BMW, I have ordered some Magnaflow 43 series cats, and will have them welded in. This is a pretty common practice for the V8 Bimmers of that vintage.

This has forced me back intho the waiting leather of my Contour SVT. As many of you know, I had some brake issues that I hope to iron out soon, but I have the car working (and thankfully stopping), and have been driving it for the last couple of days. I never realised how crappy it feels not to have your own car to drive, especially if you're used to the privilege.

My first though is that it really drives and handles well for what, in many ways, is a non-descript domestic sedan. It is confident in the turns, and tracks straight and true on the highway. The shifter doesn't get the credit it deserves. and the car flat-out sounds great.

I have it in the Auto Trader right now, but want to get the brakes fixed right before I sell. It's a matter of pride now: I can't let the car win! And until I get the parts in for the Bimmer I need the car.

It's going to be tough to let this one go.

well yes, a common practice would be to find a replacement size Cat ofr the higher end cars like say BMW or Mercedes because of hte cost of original or even OEM parts. As for the SVT, well bring her to an alignment shop, brake wheel shop or whatever and see what you can do and get away with.

Back