• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

So I got backed into today

Snipey

Veteran CEG'er
dont let the smiley fool you, it was nothing to be happy about. luckily it wasnt as bad a situation as it couldve been.
a kid i work with didnt see my car and backed right into my rear pass. bumper. turns out theres a crack about 6inches long (all the way through the bumper) i know who did it and he came out and told me before i even knew so im not gunna make this any more difficult than it has to be (take it to insurance)
im pretty sure the crack cant be repaired very well so i guess ill be looking for a new rear bumper, or used if its in good shape.
my main question is im lookin for a reasonably priced, reputable bodywork shop around the area. what kinda $$ am i lookin at for this work? i wanna give the kid an idea at what hes gunna be in the hole for.
thanks 8)

dented-Snipey

What can't be repaired about your bumper? (secret motive = buying it from you and fixing it myself and 1 step closer to full svt kit)

If you have collision insurance use it! If you don't report the claim to your insurance company anyway and make a claim thru his insurance. Do you know how many tims a situation like this goes bad and you end up having to call the insurance company anyway!?

Report the claim! If you have any questions, PM me, I'll help you thru it.

If you have collision insurance use it! If you don't report the claim to your insurance company anyway and make a claim thru his insurance. Do you know how many tims a situation like this goes bad and you end up having to call the insurance company anyway!?

Report the claim! If you have any questions, PM me, I'll help you thru it.

i understand what youre sayin..i think. i dont wanna go through insurance because this kid i guess is somewhat of a friend and id rather not cause him more $$charges than necesarry to get it fixed. Everyone I work with knows what happened so its not like hes gunna weasel out of it. He's actually been more persistent about finding out a price than i have.
If you understand that part and still think i should file even if i see no way of him not paying, then let me know. maybe he saves money if he takes it to em? fill me in

i understand what youre sayin..i think. i dont wanna go through insurance because this kid i guess is somewhat of a friend and id rather not cause him more $$charges than necesarry to get it fixed. Everyone I work with knows what happened so its not like hes gunna weasel out of it. He's actually been more persistent about finding out a price than i have.
If you understand that part and still think i should file even if i see no way of him not paying, then let me know. maybe he saves money if he takes it to em? fill me in

The problem is that these things rarely ever go smoothly for the person in your position. Usually the bodyshop provides a quote and begins repairing the car, maybe your friend pays the initial bill. Then the shop finds something else under the skin that needs to be replaced and you pay the money because your friend can't get it to you quickly. Then you get to chase this kid around looking for the money. Other things to watch out for would be if you agree to the quality of the repair, what kind of parts will be used, which shop will do the work.

If you go with your insurance it should be seemless as liability is clear. If you go with his insurance it will be a weee bit slower but you still won't have to deal with the aggrivation of chasing people around. If the damages are less than $2000 there will be an increase in his insurance premium annually, if it is $2000+ than the premium will increase a bit more (The insurance step ratings have changed a bit in the state so this might have changed slightly). The increased annual insurance premium is the only money he would be out as long as he has a Massachusetts Auto Policy. IF he is insured in another state than I would go thru insurance.

If this friend is a close friend and has money, thats fine, other wise I would go thru insurance. I don't know this kid so I can only comment based on experiance.

Back