• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sloppy Shifter

BoneStock99

CEG'er
is there a FAQ for troubleshooting a sloppy shifter? Thing feels like it is going to fall apart. Side to side play in 3rd gear is atrocious. Getting into first and second is difficlut - the shifter has to be pushed all the way to the left to go into first/second.

I searched and found a few threads talking about businings, cable ends, and tightening down the tower bolts, but noting comprehensive or task based such as first check this, then take apart this other thing and replace it, and if that doesn't work, try such and such.

Any thoughts, were to start, basic suff? Thanks.

Is it worth it just to replace the whole thing with an aftermarket. How hard is it to do that?

-Tim-

Last edited:
I would check that the shifter is bolted in tightly, then check the condition of the cable ends at the mtx. then I would adjust the cables and see what that does. Chances are one or all of those items will clear up the issue.

Thanks man.

Is there a how to for adjusting the cables or any other resources you could recommend. I'm reasonably handy and can follow just about anything which can be done with hand tools.

-Tim-

well that depends on what your you have. if you have the cable ends with the orange buttons you just press them in and latch them. this frees teh cable end. Then you just center the shifter and release the ends and they will lock back kinto place.

When you pull up the shifter boot, usually you'll see there's only 2 bolts in there, I got an extra 2 out of the junkyard and that tightened up the side to side play, if it moves forward and back a lot, look at the final shift bushing, mine has a ton of play, can move the shifter in gear a ton back and forth and it's because my shift bushing is missing.

When you pull up the shifter boot, usually you'll see there's only 2 bolts in there, I got an extra 2 out of the junkyard and that tightened up the side to side play, if it moves forward and back a lot, look at the final shift bushing, mine has a ton of play, can move the shifter in gear a ton back and forth and it's because my shift bushing is missing.

Thanks for the advice Dan. Let's hope that's all it is, two missing or loose bolts. If you are religious, i wouldn't mind a prayer. Between the house, the car, and everything else in life, I really can't afford any more repairs.

-Tim-

Haha, fortunately those two things are my favorite kind; cheap and easy. They should clear up most issues with sloppy shifting, and shifter feel will improve even more with a fluid change.

Yea, took me about 6.5 minutes to fix, and most of that time was trying to find the right allen wrench in the toolbox.

Pulled the boot, screwed one bolt back in, tightened the other, done.

You guys rock. Thanks for the advice.

-Tim-

Back