• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Slave cylinder seal

over_30k

CEG'er
Hi guys,
I've replaced my clutch and when I put in the new slave I think I forgot to use sealer. Subframe and most of the stuff back in place I get this funny feeling I forgot something and go back to ford CD. Sure enough it clearly states to use sealer. Now before I take it all apart again, any chance it might work without it? Bolts were not stripped and torqued to proper spec. Anyone successful using one without using sealer during assembly?

Mine came with an o-ring, plus i used a little sealer.
Ive had my trans out and back in 3 times since March due to previous owner neglect and a bad slave cylinder i bought new so i made sure this time was the last lol.

You know, I always thought of that. The only thing I could see the sealer would be used for, would be from the inside tranny oil. Because, if the bolts of the slave cylinder were torqued to spec, you'd think that the bottom plate face (The face part of the cylinder that's mated to the bellhousing face) wouldn't blow out because the bolts are holding it down. But what do I know, I went through like 5 slave cylinders to find out the bolt hole was stripped, which was the problem of why it kept blowing out and leaking.

I've red you threads rexxdoggy and gather that your issues with the slave were due to stripped threads in the bell housing. Mine are fine and the cylinder did come with rubber o-ring seal on the inside. I followed instructions that came with the kit and there was no mention of the sealer being used. Now reading your thread and checking ford cd I'm paranoid mine will leak. I did not put in the fluid in yet as my callipers are off and I'm still on the fence wheather to take it apart again or take my chances with how it's now. That's why I'm looking for someone on here perhaps that might have used slave without sealant successfully.

Have you attached the clutch line? If not try it, after a few pumps it will either leak or it won't.

It is very important not to overtorque the bolts. I had to put heli coils in mine because the previous person who was inside the trans.

If it has to come out, put heli coils in just to be protected.

from what i understand older tob's did come with an o-ring and I believe they are fine that way. the newer ones do not have a o-ring so they require anerobic sealer.

from what i understand older tob's did come with an o-ring and I believe they are fine that way. the newer ones do not have a o-ring so they require anerobic sealer.

correct. the one for my pre98 trans had an o-ring but the ones for the 2000 focus and the 98 SVT i rebuilt did not.

Back