• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

should i get a paint job? (pics)

millertime86

CEG'er
I just got the car not too long ago and i love it, and it runs great, but the exterior isnt in the greatest shape from the previous owner(s)

cont1qe8.jpg

cont2bl6.jpg

cont3dm0.jpg

the side/doors also have alot of little chips/light scratches too but didnt come out in pictures. also, i have to paint the trunk anyway because its a different (color) trunk.

so, should i just get the whole thing painted? my friend works at a local body shop and i hear they do good work.

and also, they will sand/primer/base/clearcoat EVERYTHING right? including sideskirts/bumpers?

Yes you should get it painted if it bothers you.

Also ask your friend at the shop about sanding, primer,base,clear,etc....

They are the ones doing it not us.

If it were me, I'd take it to the body shop, have them repair the bumper and paint it. That's if i had unlimited funds of course. :rolleyes:

A full paint job will cost you between $3500 and $4000. Unless the car is pretty new, and has lots done to it, it's prolly not worth it. But getting just the bumper repaired and painted might be a good idea.

looks like one to many millertime drives:laugh:

You could get a shop to do everything but the roof for $2,000 or less.... shop around even if your buddys shop can't do it for a deal. + body work to that price.....

wow... 3500, 4000???? are you guys serious? thats more than i paid for the car! i was assuming around 1000... i was way off haha. ill have to check with my friend and see what the "friend" price is.

but if its over 1000, I have tape and newspapers, and my dad has a spray gun and a sander... I will paint it myself

You could get a shop to do everything but the roof for $2,000 or less.... shop around even if your buddys shop can't do it for a deal. + body work to that price.....

were you guys counting bodywork in those estimates? it doesnt need any bodywork, just has 2 cracks in the front bumber, thats it, no biggie i can fix that. mostly just scratches and scraps, no dents or anything.

i would like to see more pics of the actuall car and not the damage only and ill be able to tell you what you would be looking at cost wise

car looks ok ,just needs a wetsand and polish trunk looks blue, if you can fix the bumpers yourself id say you could find someone to spray the trunk and bumpers for 600
if they do the repair to the bumpers yes i did say bumpers because those gouges in the back one will need some repair as well 950

car looks ok ,just needs a wetsand and polish trunk looks blue, if you can fix the bumpers yourself id say you could find someone to spray the trunk and bumpers for 600
if they do the repair to the bumpers yes i did say bumpers because those gouges in the back one will need some repair as well 950

yeah the trunk is blue, thats the main reason i was considering a whole paint job, because i have to paint that anyway. and the upper back bumper just looks awful too (section above the exhaust tips) it has a few big scuffs. let alone the lower bumper which is really bad haha.

I dont really understand the wetsand and polish. wont that take off some paint? will ya need to add a coat or 2 of paint after a wetsand? or just polish it?

just a wetsand and polish will cut into the clearcoat slightly enough to remove bad swirls or surface scratches and it will bring luster and depth back to the original finish and will help it match better to the newly painted bumpers and trunklid

just a wetsand and polish will cut into the clearcoat slightly enough to remove bad swirls or surface scratches and it will bring luster and depth back to the original finish and will help it match better to the newly painted bumpers and trunklid

ah okay i see, around what grade of sandpaper do you think would be best? and do you have any good experiences with any kind/brand of polish?

thanks for all the help

LOL!!! i thought my bumper was bad! :crazy: hhaahhaah... well the car looks great man... the paint isnt bad at all really... i would focus on getting the trunk painted... and thats it... to much money to paint the whole car, and its not terrible either... infact its better than mine:rolleyes: .. sadly ... but just paint the trunk and youll be good :)... next work on that front bumper dude.. cause it needs some lovin :laugh: :laugh:

Actually cheaper than painting the trunk - get a new trunklid thats the right colour! :) I'm sure bagged must have one from one of the many parts cars he's had. Its will work out way cheaper than having that one painted.

Back