• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

SHO, SVT, or PI?

SHO, SVT, or PI?

• Total voters

Pen_Two

Is not easliy amused.
So I'm thinking of getting a second car by the end of the year, and I have 3 in mind.

Obviously I have to give some love for the Contour SVT. So that's one option. Another option is a '98ish SHO. For some reason I really like that body style. Option number three is probably one I want the most, but won't just discredit the other two choices for the third. '99+ Crown Vic Police Interceptor. Obviously they're all from different segments of the spectrum. Small, Medium, and Large. :laugh:

This isn't really a thread to make my mind up, but rather a thread for you to voice your opinion on which one you think you might prefer over the others.

SVT
PI
SHO

I'm an old SHO guy and the Gen 3 is a PIGGY PIG PIG...all the disadvantages of teh PI and none of the benefit...If you're going to wheel a pig around, may as well have a platform that can go from Mild to WILD...the sky is the limit with the PI's motor options.

I do not have a CSVT but have chased many around a road course and auto-x course with my old SHO's...if you can't beat 'em...

i would have to say SVT or Crown Vic. I'm a huge SHO fan, but not of the 96-99 V8 SHO's. they're slower and only come in auto, unless you feel like taking the time to swap a trans from, i think its a Mazda 6, or 626, or something like that... I would say go with a 1st or second gen V6 MTX SHO.

I was going to say the 98 was the 3rd gen SHO AKA the V8 SHO, but my vote would got to a 1st or 2nd gen SHO!!!

On the topic of which gen SHO, I'm not a fan of the overall visual aspect of the 1st and 2nd gen SHO's. Hence why I chose the 3rd gen. It also ties into the similar year range for the three choices.

You could get the new all wheel drive SHO and get rid of the Jeep:shrug:

i would definetly go for a V8 SHO i had two and there are so much fun to drive, if you do end up gettin one make sure the cams are welded or if you can do it your self even better
i would say go for either a 96 or 97 just because the 98 and 99 are so stripped down

777614_644_full..jpg

ive owned all 3 of those cars I Just Bought A CSVT the thing with the 3rd gen shos is the cams go out really easy,

yeah they got a lot of power but there trannys cant hold it,
ive got a 2003 mercury marauder that is a corvette beater ive taken them off the line...
but they kill me on the 1/2mile tho

and get about 9mpg city and about 12 highway so you need alot of gas money lmao now the Csvt Is Like My Middel Man Got Power And Great On Gas And Its Stick Best Of Bouth Worlds Lmaooo

just my thoughs On The Matter Since I Own All 3 cars Lmao

Given your history with CSVT's and my personnel love with the 9C1... #1 slot gets taken away. The 90's Sho I'm not so sure. You drive stick and i'm pretty sure you'd be frustrated with Ford's automatic in the SHO.

1) PI (or 9C1 haha, no seriously no Caprice because they can be money pits if you don't have the cash to do it right)
2) CSVT
3) late 90's SHO

Given your history with CSVT's and my personnel love with the 9C1... #1 slot gets taken away. The 90's Sho I'm not so sure. You drive stick and i'm pretty sure you'd be frustrated with Ford's automatic in the SHO.

1) PI (or 9C1 haha, no seriously no Caprice because they can be money pits if you don't have the cash to do it right)
2) CSVT
3) late 90's SHO

My history? Lol. The black one was taken away from me courtesy of a white Impala. The silver one wasn't mine when it was wrecked...

I've driven an automatic for two years now. I wouldn't want the 5 speed in the cherokee for two reasons. If you screw up and stall it out on a descent/climb...I have a feeling I better hope for the best when the helicopter comes to airlift me. The second reason, I've read they're garbage anyway. :laugh:

Really? I thought your Cherokee was stick, just kinda assumed it was cause your play off-road. Any of the three at least your look at some type of performance type enhancements, so you'll be able to some spirited and fun driving!

What are you buying the car for? gas mileage, speed, reliability, fun to drive? The SHO i would say is the least reliable but second quickest of the group. The Crown Vic would have the biggest aftermarket with it having the 4.6, but is the slowest of the bunch stock (can be fixed). The CSVT would be the quickest/fastest stock, would be the most fuel efficient, and would probably be the most fun to drive on curvey roads being that it is a 5 speed.

here is some info.

CSVT (98 specs)
2.5 DOHC V6
0-60 in 7.1
1/4 mile in 15.4
195 hp @ 6625
165 lb/ft @ 5625
EPA 20 city 29 highway
top speed 143

SHO
3.4 DOHC V8
0-60 in 7.5
1/4 in 15.7
235 hp at 6100RPM
230 lb/ft at 4800RPM
EPA 16 city 25 highway
top speed 133

Crown Vic P/I
4.6 SOHC V8
0-60 in 8.7
1/4 in 16.0
235 hp at 4750
275 lb/ft at 4000
EPA 16 city 22 highway
top speed 129

if your going to buy a police interceptor you have to get a 01 and up 2001 and up comes with PI HEADS INTAKE CAMS. 98-00 ARE NON PI MOTORS.

and if you got some cash get a 2003-2004 cronw vic police interceptor. they are built better and come with rack and pinion and a few other things. besides basic police package stuff. plus 2004 is the best performace year out of all the police crown vics. Cuz in 05 they went to drive by wire and those cars have throttle lag.

i definatly went with the SHO i love my Sable and i could only imagine a SHO as a faster version of it. plus the looks i like alot for the 96-99. i would have to agree though about getting a 96 or 97. if you want to be unique try and find a grey or rosemist 96 very rare but i do see them forsale every once in a while. if i can gatter up some money i will be getting 2 of them this summer a t-red 96 and a pacific green 97. although there are not very many performance mods for them they do come with some neat features that make them a bit more fun and many parts are interchangable between years both newer and older. for instance my Sable has a set sway bars from an 89 SHO on it (26/24mm combo) and there are some other things that can be done as well and even though the platform is gone shosource is still coming out with new parts on a fairly regular basis. (mainly because of the 4th gen taurus). thats my reasoning i guess plus a midsize car is just about the right size for me.

I like small cars, I would get the SVT. Crown vic - gas hog
SHO - high maintenance, and the transmissions (AX4N?) they put in those are even bigger POS than the CD4E

the vic will only be a gas hog if you keep the pedal down.
my '98 was getting between 18-24 depending on how often i put the pedal down.

Back