• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Roll Restrictors

projectSHO89

Hard-core CEG'er
Well, have the ATX sitting on the floor so I can replace the torque converter.

When I pulled the tranny, I observed that the rear roll restrictor was pretty well worn out (torn).

I'm looking for someone who has used aftermarket inserts to repair the mount. The front one is easily identified from Anchor and more, but the rear one seems to be eluding me.

Does anyone know if the rear uses the same insert as the front or if the rear has an insert available? If not, I'll be heading off to the Ford dealership later today.

Oh, BTW, the idiots at AutoZone ordered the wrong torque converter for me. Say it will take almost a week to get the right one in. :rolleyes: That was AFTER they called the vendor and they still got it wrong...

Steve

Last edited:
Ya, i had the same problem with the rear RR, when i pulled the trans i was going to replace it even though it looked fine because i figure it would be a real pain with the engine and trans in.

Anyway, i went to advanced, autozone, and Murrays, none of them showed the rear RR in their catalogs....i gave up after a while, but when i did look at it, it looked pretty similar to the front one.

You could also call up bill jenkins and see if part numbers are the same for front and back...

Well, I called Anchor Industries this morning.

Talked to one of their applications support guys and got the correct (hopefully) Anchor numbers.

For the 98-on, the front insert is # 2885, the rear insert is 2888.

For the 95-97, the numbers are 2886 and 2887 respectively.

FWIW, their online catalog is wrong with regard to the front insert.

My local O'Reilly's promised they'd have the 2888 first thing tomorrow morning so I'll see if it's a match. The 2885 was special order through them. Since mine is not yet visibly defective and since it can be done later if I choose to, I didn't order it at this time.

Picked up a TC today, so I'll be starting the reassembly tomorrow afternoon.

Steve

I'm happy to report that the 2888 is a perfect fit for the rear mount. A hammer, chisel, and a couple of minutes time was all it took to remove the old insert and install the new one into the mount housing.

Got the tranny bolted back up to the engine, but it will probably be Sunday before I get back to work on it..

Steve

Back