• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Roll Resistor help!

XKontour98

Hard-core CEG'er
I am trying to replace my front roll resistor and I cannot get the bolt that goes through the rr out for the life of me. I tried everything from supporting the drive train with a jack, pb blaster, taking the entire unit out and still no avail.

Is there an easier way to do this? My current resistor is so worn that it has too much play when I am trying to loosen the bolt. Add that to the limited amount of space for a wrench/ratchet!

Roll Resistor

Roll Resistor

If I'm understanding this right, you have the bolt loosened up but can't pull it out. If the car is sitting on a sloped surface you need to push it forward a little and chock the wheels so the weight of the car is off the resistor. You won't need to lift the motor up because the motor mounts carry the weight of the motor. If I remember right those bolts are pretty long too, you may not have backed out enough. Hopefully the bolt isn't frozen in where you can't back it out - major PITA.
Good Luck

Actually it's just the opposite. The bolt wont budge, but the RR moves when I wrench on it and there is enough play that I can't turn the wrench enough in the area to break it loose.

The top part conected to the RR is suposed to be seperate from the tranny, correct?

There are three parts associated with that RR:

Front subframe
Roll resistor
Bracket on the trans

There are two nuts holding the roll resistor to the subframe and a thru-bolt punching it in the bracket on the trans.....now let me make sure i understand you're problem:

You've already removed the two nuts from the subframe and are attempting to remove the thru-bolt, it's siezed and you don't have enough room to turn the wrench far enough to break it loose....am i close? If so we can move on from here.

~Josh

See my reply in the transaxle forums. This happened to my '95 2.5L Mystique.

Back