• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Right turn suspensions clunk

if the bushings would bind would it make a clunk sound? It almost sounds like a rock in the tire type of noise.

Well Might have narrowed down the problem.

I used the "taller" nut on top of the strut mount on the front passenger side. Its leave quite a nice gap on the top of the strut tower, Would this my source of noise?

I got to the local HS parking lot this morning and played around a bit but couldn't really identify anything. All the bolts are still there and appear tight.

I beleive it may be 5 things. One is the mentioned above. 2) Is that in the process of all the banging I killed a bearing, and hearing the noise in turns is just pre-death noise. 3) Possibly the pinch bolt on the knuckle is not tight enough and the strut is moving up and down? (doubtful, but was a thought I had) 4) I have a cut/poorly warn tire and now that the new suspension is on the car Its making noise. 5) Binding of the ES bushings?

The noise most definately sounds rotational related. Its a steady pulse when I can hear it. (which is why I am doubtful on # 3 and # 5)

Any suggestions are welcomed. I I'll be dropped off at ESU tomorrow morning so I won't touch my car till next weekend. But I think I'm going to try and rotate the tires to see if there is any difference, mainly to see if it is cupping/irregular wear noise.

Anyone elses thoughts?

I used the "taller" nut on top of the strut mount on the front passenger side. Its leave quite a nice gap on the top of the strut tower, Would this my source of noise?

Yes. I had that once on a rear shock absorber and when I put on a rubber bushing to take the slack, the noise was gone.

hmm the question now is, Is it possible to remove the nut from the strut mount while it is on the car? Or am I going to need spring compressors again and take the assembly off the car? :blackeye:

I think with the weight of the car on the spring/strut mount it will hold itself in place if I release the nut. Not to mention I could just stop loosing the nut if the spring pushes up with it.

Any ideas/suggestions? I still have the lower nut to put back on, so no trouble in that respect

Back