• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Repainting factory wheels

RTGT

CEG'er
The Infiniti G35 I recently bought for my wife needed some TLC. I think the previous owner didn't clean the brake dust of the wheels very often. They were spotted up and stained and nothing would help. Instead of buying some used ones I thought I would try and refinish them first. I bought 2 of the hyper silver duplicolor kits and painted them myself. Both kits together cost me $36 at Oreilleys. For people who are running factory rims this is an option.

002..jpg

You can see the black stains that would not come off

003..jpg

I used 400 grit sandpaper and scotchbrite pads to scuff them up.

005..jpg

Here is the finished product, turned out pretty good. I'm happy and most importantly my wife is.

007..jpg

And here mounted up on the car with new tires.

Nice work they turned out great. Hopefully the the paint holds up for you looks like you did all the proper prep.

I cleaned them several times with TSP and the paint laid down pretty good. My wife only puts about 8k a year on a car and I'm very picky about washing and waxing. I've rattle canned several sets of wheels over the years with no problems. It helps that we have decent weather around here too.

Back