• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

removing cabin HVAC and center support

bensenvill

Hard-core CEG'er
ok so I've been fumbling around for over a week trying to gracefully remove the HVAC unit from under the dash.

so far it looks something like this
p3230088xo4.jpg

The engine bay portion of the A/C is completely gone, so no worries about that.

I am still struggling to get the 2 coolant lines seperated from the firewall [not enough room from under the car to pull them off, in the process of getting that wire harness that runs behind the engine out of the way so I can reach them from the top].

but I'm really at a loss on how to get the whole HVAC unit removed. I have the lower most sheild removed. I have the cover above that I THINK seperated and can see the radiator thing for the heater in side of it.... do I need to stop here until I can get the coolant lines removed [they are drained]?

I'm getting to the point I think I need to remove the center support brace TEMPORARILY to be able to pull it GRACEFULLY. Am I wrong in saying that?

Can the center support brace be safely removed for a day or two without the unibody deforming?

lower the steering column from the brace and then unbolt the brace from the chassis and pull it out. it should be fine for a few days.

Yes You have to take the brace off. Ounce you get it off and the coolant lines and ac lines off inside the engine compartment, the ac unit will just slide out, I dont think there are any nuts holding it to the body just the couple holding it to the brace. Taking the brace off will not change any measurements since it really is there only for support in a crash. The easiest way to get the lines off is from the top, its a pain but can be done. Other then the lines inside the bay, you are almost done and ounce the lines are off it wont take more then a couple mins to get everything else off. Keep us updated with pics.

Jesse

thanks jesse, confirms exactly what I was thinking.

I unfortunately stripped my torx bit I needed for the brace... stupid cheap autozone tools. lol, cant believe they lasted 4 years. So its on hold for a day or 2 before I can make a trip to sears.

moved back to the wiring, will be posting up some pics shortly to get some assistance on labeling.

Back