• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Relocating Hood Release Latch...?

Deep

New CEG'er
I'm thinking about relocating my hood release latch to some hidden area in the car.

My car was broken into recently and the thieves by-passed my alarm by cutting battery cables, and a bunch of extra wires under the hood just to be safe.

Any thoughts about relocating the release latch? Where would be easy/safe/hidden spot? Is this a fair simple job for someone who knows very little about mechanic work? Any other ideas?

You could get crafty and relocate it to under the bumper, like cars used to have. My friends '71 Chevelle has a little handle that stick out on top of the front license that opens the hood. Another friend had a 74 Dodge Dart that he put a padlock on it to keep it from opening. Same friend had an 85 Mustang that we had to fab a plate behind the latching mechanism to keep people (namely me and another guy) from popping the hood from the outside.

Did they pop the hood to cut the cables? Round here, they get really nasty and just cut a hole in the hood to disconnect the battery. Which is why I prefer stealthy installs of high-interest items.

Ive seen before a replacment cable itself where the pull tab had a barrel style key so you cound actualy lock it so no one could pull it... other wise... id look into sending it down the other side of the car ((pass side)) and putting it behind the glove box. i wouldnt think theyd pull it down to get in... or you could go electric... get a ford trunk pop out of the vics or the town cars (yes i know its lincoln... but ford makes them so..)) and mount that at the latch as a popper.. and put a push button somewhere covert...

.....MY 2₵ :laugh:.....

then all they are going to do is rip the grill out and pop the hood open by prying on the latch ...

I think the only real solution is just finding a safer place to park your car.

they will get in your car one way or another, you cant change that.

and even if you could find a way, they are just going to damage your car for inconvienceing them.

What about wiring up a system so the alarm is on it's own back-up battery in the trunk? Then, if they cut the main battery cable, the alarm could still function from the trunk battery. That you could hide in the spare wheel well.

Back