• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Redneck Performance - AKA Free

KennyT772

Veteran CEG'er
So over the past week or so I've done a few things to put a little more fun in driving a atx zetec.
So far:
Cut out muffler, replaced with strait 2" pipe and swapped tip hanger to the opposite side.
Removed stock airbox and ziptied filter to intake.
Cleaned the entire intake system, still need to optimize the throttle body.
Pics...

More Pics

why did you ziptie the filter to the box? :help:

edit: and I see you cut out the muffler, but left the resonator (most restrictive exhaust piece) still in?

Last edited:
can you take better pics? i can't tell what you even did, other that the huge black blob protuding towards the exaust, the air box looks original, also, what possible difference could taking the bottom of the box off make? other than an instant hydrolocked zetec the first time it rains i don't see the point...did it seem to run any different to you?

and why remove the muffler? why not the resonator and/or cat?

Why did I zip tie the filter? Because there is no airbox anymore. Until I can get a new intake and cone, this is the way I'm going to run it. And I've checked the engine bay a couple times after driving in the rain before I did this, no water gets up that high. I have driven it both ways, and theres a noticable difference from blocking off the intake resonator and removing the airbox. Less air restriction the better.

The muffler was rusted out and falling apart, hence why I cut it out. There were several holes in the bottom and the baffles were rusted to bits. Not only was I getting exhaust leakage into the trunk, but it sounded like :censored::censored::censored::censored:.
The resonator will be replaced later, when I actually have some cash. I got the pipe for free, and I have a shop at my disposal so I welded it in. If someone wanted to donate an SVT catback I would gladly rip all of that out.

My god. Where did you put the breather hose? Is it just hanging? :nonono:
The stock airbox was being gutted so I can hoot it back up to the stock location.
Its going to be replaced by a breather element later this week.

Last edited:
I'm still confused with what you are doing. I don't see why you don't just do a SleeperZ type intake, or do the Focus intake? They're both extraordinarily cheap if you can search appropriately.

huh, well if it is clear from water and shows a noticable differnece then mabey it is worth a try, may try it myself to see if it makes a difference!

about the exaust pipe, i would rather weld it on like you did, but has anyone tryed the bolt-on jobs from autozone? never used them myself but i would think it would be better than nothing if you can't get ahold of a welder. ???

Didn't you read? I have tools available to me, not cash. I have to pay 1350 on the car, plus cover insurance and gas on about 10 hr a week. Once the car is paid off I will start doing the bolt ons.

Until then, I will do anything I can to gain extra performance/gas mileage (I currently get about 22:shrug:) while on the cheap.

I'm going to get my hands on a camera to record the sound, Its a little raspy in park, but not with load.

you misunderstood, i understand your situation, i'm on a similar budget, i was just wondering if the bolt on clamps for exaust pipe worked worth a :censored::censored::censored::censored:, more so for those people who don't do anything because they have no welder access...and i know you welded yours, i was just posing the question for anyone reading that might have tried them

Sorry I was talking to zorrex not you man, I haven't tried the bolt on style, but I would stay away from it. If you have all the stuff you need, drive to a local exhaust shop and see what it will run you. Just make sure you have a whole plan set out of how it will be set up. $20 and you should be set.

oh, yes that is what i would do, or just weld it myself, but i know there are some guys that for whatever their reasons they can't find anyone to weld it or think it is to expensive???? anyways i've seen people on here metion that they want to do this but can't afford the weld, just thought that might be a solution for them....i agree with you though, just have it welded, cheap easy, and best hold.

Exactly.

Just FYI if you replace the stock muffler with a pipe as I did, remember to cut the hanger off the tip. I had to mount it on the opposite side for it to line up with the rubber hanger. It does fit perfect though.

i was think'n bout gutt'n the cat and removing the resanator, and leaving the muffler...is one way better? my main reasoning for it is the resriction of the cat and res, and also i had a 95 neon that someone cut the muffler off of, and it sounded like poo, really bad! i was gonna do the cat and res now, and when i have better fundage then headers and a flowmaster, what do you think? am i go'n the wrong direction?

Generally the resonator is the first to go, as that is the worst as far as restriction. I went the other way as my muffler was rusted out, and I was getting exhaust leakage into my trunk. Gut the cat, and cut out the resonator. When you do get some funds have these guys pick out a replacement muffler, then do that. Thats what I'm going to do.

Also my girl has a 95 neon sohc, and it is just boring to drive. Any advice on it? (just pm me)

Back