• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

red RTV?

jd2-98s

Veteran CEG'er
I'm going to put the MTX75 together, but didn't have a sealant on it..

All data states to apply a ford part number sealant. I have Red RTV think it would be fine?

not sure if its a bad thing or not, but i did find out that the best way to use RTV and prevent a leak is to apply a decent bead, tighten the two mating surfaces together just enough for the rtv to start to ooze out. let it sit long enough to form a skin (for the ultra black an hour is best) check the cure times for the red stuff. after it starts to form a skin you can tighten it.
shouldnt have any leak problems.

ULTRA BLACK RTV works just fine... Place a decent bead on one side of the bellhousing, about 1/4" thick or so. let it sit for about 5 minutes and then place the two part of the MTX together. thread in all of the bolts, and by the time you hand tighten all the bolts, alternating in a criss-cross pattern, and are ready to torque them down, the sealer should be all set to cure. By the time you have the MTX bolted back into the car and ready to drive, it will be fine to put the fluid in.

I cant tell you how many MTXs I have cracked open, and I dont think one of them has leaked using the ULTRA BLACK RTV. That stuff is great! :)

only issue is that some of the rtv might squeeze out into the transmission. then it will harden and it could get stuck in the gears etc. the anerobic gasket maker only cures in the absence of air. so if any gets into the transmission it will not cure and will remain liquid.

but either will seal correctly.

The only stuff I would really suggest(meh) would be ultra black, as previously stated. But in my experience, RTV is really only used as a gasket dressing, I use it as little as possible. Also, I would use a modestly-sized bead, too much (again, as stated) can do bad things. It also doesn't seal if too much is used.

I was in the garage by the time I got back, to the post..

I figure the stuff Brapple stated would be the best choice, but red I had on hand seem to meet my needs.... I used a small bead, looked inside the tranny with a video scope today, there is a small thin dried bead of rtv inside the case, but figure this would pose more of a problem with a oil pick up filter like in a automatic or oil pan of a engine if it was to start flaking. I figure the gears would munch it up. But hell I have other tranny parts on hand lol, my luck I would be doing 50 and come to a stop because RTV went into the gears :) j/k

But true best to use what they say to use. As far as a dressing on a gasket, I've read that it could cause the gasket to slip and not seal correctly, always thought it was a either or kinda thing.

Still need to put on exhaust, reinstall starter and airbox. Then have to change over the right rear hub (not a bad job). Then see if my repair worked and have a quite tranny. Still can't believe those bearing were still inplace untill I openned it up, now I know why it sounded like popcorn even when costing in neutral and the clutch in. The output shaft spins off the diff when costing and it's front half was pretty bad, even dug up the outter race. Ended up using the front half of the other tranny I picked up.

Finally got it done today, had the time to finish it up. It works :) nice and quite now, shifts fine, sounds good. Hope it stays that way.

Back