• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear toe control arm install

doomsayer559

CEG'er
Looks straight forward enough but I hear there is one issue. That issue being that the subframe side bolts will not clear the fuel tank. So whats the deal? Is this a for sure problem or just a tight squeeze? That seems pretty common with these cars... And if so what are the options to install them. I mean dropping the tank, subframe, etc.

Have had these laying in the garage for awhile & im finding time now to install some parts.

No, the forward control arms are the ones that are blocked by the gas tank. The arms that control the toe are the rearward arms and fit out without any problems whatsoever. Just make sure you've got a good breaker bar as those nuts where it connects to the subframe are typically very very frozen, even with several baths of PB I had a hard time all the way to the end of the bolt.

Ahh okay great thanks guys. & if im not mistaken only special thing required is hub end taken off first then tighten everything with the car on the ground?

Never heard taking the knuckle side off first but would probably be easier with that rubber bushing, mine came out much much easier than the subframe side anyway. Subframe side AFAIK does not need to be fully tightened while the suspension is loaded but the knuckle side does, you can basically hand tighten (the bolt is too long to fit out without the rim removed and therefore will need to be threaded in quite a bit before the rim will fit back over it) and then just fully tighten it down with the car on the ground.

Back