• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

rear disc brake kits

Contour199

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I own a 1998 Ford contour and I have rear drum brakes and I want to know if there are any kits to convert it to disc?

Best bet is just go to the junkyard and find a Contour with rear disc there and pull the setup off and put it on your car. You'll need the whole hub and ebrake cables.

99+ Cougar brakes will swap right in as well.

You can get kits from places like British American Transfer, but the cost is unbelievable.

unbolt drum knuckle from strut/control arm/toe arm/trailing arm, remove e-brake cable from e-brake equalizer. bolt on disc knuckle and hook up e-brake cables. install any new pads/rotors/etc. :shrug:

^^^^^

And this:
Yeah, I did the conversion. Actually purchased the stuff off striker :laugh:. Anyways, the ONLY problems that you could POSSIBLY run into are the issues of male/female brake line connections due to a changing of location of the pressure reducer valve after 1996. My 1996 has the reducer valves right beneath the fluid reservoir, but later Tours had them right in the rear wheel well. They *should* be removed when installing disc brakes, as disc brakes require more pressure to brake than drum brakes.

As for the heat shield, no need to drop the exhaust. The two pieces you need to pull down are riveted together. Ripping the two pieces apart makes it easy to pull them right out without any need to pull the exhaust down.

Read:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?50169-Rear-disc-brake-removal-installation

Google:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&...pw.r_qf.&fp=a3262dd8459fba29&biw=1044&bih=420

It also is affected by if you have ABS or not. I had sold a set of rear brakes that were non-ABS. I included the master cylinder and the proportioning valve hardware. Compudude was happy with the parts.

Back