• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear brake drums

Conan

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I was trying to replace my rear shoes and drums on my 98 contour. I am sure that my shoes have cut a nice groove in the drum and that is the reason that I cannot remove the drum itself. I removed the brommet and tried to release the automatic adjustment but to no avail. Is there a trick or am I just missing something ovbious?

That adjuster is hard to figure out if you haven't seen it before. Get a big screwdriver and pry between the drum and back plate. Use a hammer to tap on the drum. If it cracks or breaks thats ok since you are replacing them anyway.

I did try the brute force approach but didn't want to bend the back plate. wanna give a shot at explaining that adjuster.
I crawled under so I could get a view of the hole.
I can see the teeth of the adjuster but can't seem to move them enough to get the shoes to retrack enough.

Well I applied some super penatrant and smacked the crap out of it with a rubber mallet again. more our of frustration than anything else. and the damn thing fell off.
Thanks for the help

The "Persuader" wins again! Must have been stuck on the hub. Put some neverseize on the hub face for easier disassembly, next time. I have to lube the pivots in there, my rear brakes creak.

Back