• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Rear Brake Cables and exhaust Heat Shield

Barry Webb

New CEG'er
Hi.

I have a 2000 Contour SVT that needs both rear brake cables replaced.

1. Do I have to remove the exhaust heat shield or is there some magic way of avoiding this?

2. If I need the remove the heat shield, the bolts appear to be accessible from inside. Do I really have to remove the carpet to get to these screws?

3. Do I also have to drop the exhaust pipe?

I did search the forum archives and although seized cables are a common problem, I couldn't find any specific information about heat shield removal.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Cheers
Barry

1. you might be able to reach in there but its easier with the shield dropped

2. there should be several 1 inch sheet metal nuts holding the heat shields on from the underside

3. again you don't have to but it ouwl give you more space to work

Hi.

Thanks for the quick response.

I think I misunderstood the nature of the fasteners holding the exhaust heat shield. I thought they were screwed from the top-side but what you are saying is that they are simply undone by twisting the nut-like part of the fastener. Is that correct.

Also, any comments on if the exhaust needs to be dropped.

Thanks again
Barry

If it is the nut I'm thinking of, the ones I removed to get accesses to pull my rear finders in a little to make the fender liner bow up a little so the tires would not rub over large bumps, a hald held socket of the right size will zip those nuts right off with very little effort.

Back