• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

rack and pinion ??

mikeyp

CEG'er
i need to replace my rack and pinon set up. i have a 98 eo svt contour. is the rack and pinion setup the same for all contours? is the steering ratio diferent on the svt? where is a good place to purchase one? Cant wait for this project! :mad:

technically, yes the SVT rack is different. that said, many of us have used the standard V6 rack as a replacement without issues and without noticing a difference in steering. your local Advance auto or Autozone should be able to get a standard V6 rack for $120. removing the old one and installing the new one isnt that difficult actually, you just have to be careful when removing the subframe bolts.

ok so i went to order one from autozone and they have a rack and pinion for 14 inch wheels and 15 inch wheels. once i told them i had 16 inch wheels they gave me a hard time. the one for the 14inch wheels is the $120 one that stricker talked about. is that the one i should go with? has anyone had this problem befor? i didnt even start this project and its not goin good. anyhelp would be alsome!

I have one for sale that came off a 2000 svt with 125k miles I can sell you. Pm me and maybe we can work out a better price than the $120.

Back