• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

quick question

BrandonSVT99

CEG'er
When you are in the engine bay and you remove the whole intake setup, when you look down at the tranny where the linkage meets the actuallytranny case.is that "box" with about 5 bolts holding it to the tranny is that the shifter tower?If so is there away I can remove it with out having to drop the tranny?

Some backround back in june my gears when out in my tranny so I have been diagnosing the problem ever since. check the shift linkage from inside and out near the tranny already.And everything has checked out there.So i'm guessing it is the shifter tower bolt.Also I have heard that the focus shifter tower is what I am suppose to buy when i'm fixing this,well where can I purchase it?

I hope all this makes sense to someone As I tend to have run on sentences.hahaa (longday)

Yes, that is the shift tower. I haven't observed that problem so I don't know if it is what you are expecting with the bolt, but it seems that the bolt either fails of it doesn't. If it does fail, you're stuck.

The early shirt tower is actually somewhat preferred over the Focus tower other than the sift bolt problem. Terry Haines has a cure with a sleeve that supports the bolt and keeps it from coming apart.

That is the shifter tower and my friend and I have had removed it before, but the tranny was down. If it were me I would try to get all the bolts out and i would try to remove it (in order the shifter tower to get out it should be in neutral).

I can't get it in neutral because it is stuck in gear.On friday I notice one of the cables were off,I jacked the car up and put the cable back on...no luck though didn't resolve my problem.I wish there was a way to get the shifter tower off with out removing the tranny,I don't have the resources for that.

i had the same problem, at least yours is at home, i had to fix it on the side of the turnpike. its not the upper shift tower bolt. its actually the lower one. if you take the sensor off the top of the trans and look in the side, you can see the bolt im talking about. luckily i had a spare tower. and you can take off the shift tower without taking the trans out. just undo the air box, undo the trans mount, and then undo the 4 or so bolts that hold it on. take a magnet and get the broken head out of the trans and then drill the bolt out, if your lucky like i was the bolt turned out of the hole once i was like halfway through drilling it. buy a new bolt and lock tite it in. hopefully this helps you. oh sorry to get it out of gear take the top bolts out of the shift tower and grab the rod with a pair of channel locks turn it either way till it pops into neutral

Last edited:
Back