• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Question about MLPS Part # and Pigtail

mpls_kelli

New CEG'er
I went to my local Ford dealer yesterday to get a new MLPS for my 1997 Contour Zetec 2.0 with a CD4E transmission.

The guy at the parts dept. said that the part I needed was SW-6274 (6L8Z-7F293-AA) and that I also needed a wiring harness/pigtail for the connector that would need to be spliced in. That part # WPT7461 (3U2Z-14S411-DPAB).

The MLPS cost $39.66 and they want $34.73 for the wiring harness.

I have read everything I can find about replacing the MLPS in the current forum and archives. I don’t remember seeing anyone mention needing the addition wiring harness or talking about splicing in that harness but it is possible I missed something.

I purchased the new MLPS and had to have them order the wiring harness. The part I got looks different then what my manual says it should look like, but similar to pictures that have been posted on the forum. It has 11 prongs in the connector and it is black and smaller than the original.

Can someone please help me confirm that this is correct part for my car? The Buyer’s Guide info on the Ford Parts website doesn’t list my 1997 Contour as one of the models that uses Motorcraft SW-6274.

If I don’t need the harness, I might still try getting this in today.

Thanks.

the newer cd4e's that are found in the escapes and whatever else have a different wiring harness. this is why you need the pigtail to use the newer MLPS with the older transmission.

A probable effort to weed out obsolete parts and add revenue.

Like additional wiring harness will make part more reliable. (gagh)

If one has a pinout this part can be pretty easily rebuilt, I've done it. Simple resistor stack. Still works fine years later.

Update

Update

Well, I decided to try and do some investigative work yesterday on my MLPS and had a revelation. For some reason, I had not considered that when I had my MLPS replaced by the dealer back in 2005/2006 that the newer version of the part might have already been in use. I got a flashlight and sure enough, I could tell that the current MLPS on the car was the same as the one I had gotten from my dealer on Saturday. Therefore, I made the "brillant" deduction that if it needed a new wiring harness that they would have taken care of that issue back then. At least, that was what I was hoping as I pulled the battery out. :)

As luck would have it, I was correct. So, problem solved. I swapped in the new MLPS yesterday afternoon. For now, it seems to be making the shifting a little smoother. The real test will be this weekend when I drive to my parent's house (70+ miles) since that is when I usually experience an O/D light flashing incident. My normal daily driving routine is not far enough to trigger the problem.

So, I will keep my fingers crossed, but for right now, I am just happy I don't have to buy an addition $35.00 wiring harness. :)

Thanks for the replies. I am still curious to know if my car would have needed the wiring harness had the original MLPS still been in the car. It might be useful information to post somewhere for other 1997 owners having transmission problems.

You might look further than the mlps. If you ever need one it should last the rest of the life of the car. You are on your third.

Back