• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Problem after problem!!

DirtyBird

CEG'er
Ok, so I fixed the leaks, and lean codes.... now my tranny is GONE...
I don't know if its the clutch, gears,, linkage, or what.

So here's what happened. I pulled out of my house. Everything's fine. I am cruising up the street (a very busy street) everything shifts normally, no problems. I come to a red light, press in the clutch, put it in nuetral. Everything feels fine.
But then When I go to put it in first, nothing there, just a TON of slop in the shifter. I try 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and reverse, same slop in every position... so my first thought is the shift linkage broke.

Luckily I was able to push it backwards into a parking lot off the street, and then coast all the way back to my house.
I then have one of my neighbors shift gears for me while I look underneath at the linkage rod. It moves normally with the shifter, into the tranny, but again, its very sloppy and I was able to move the shifter around with no resistance by just moving the rod just outside the tranny.

I found a used transmission pretty cheap at a local junk yard, and have someone that will install it.... but if it is the linkage broken somewhere, will I need to buy a linkage rod as well?
I am also probably going to buy a clutch from ebay.... any brand/model suggestions on that?

Don't jump the gun and buy a transaxle to fix a problem that has not been properly diagnosed yet.

If the information in your signature is correct, you have a 1997 Contour SE. That means you have a rod shifter transaxle, not a cable shifter. Jack up the car and get underneath there to inspect the linkage completely. A broken bolt might cause this kind of problem. You may even have to open up the console inside the car to check the shifter (not certain on this as it has been so long since I owned a rod shifter Contour).

If you do end up having to go down the "buy a transaxle" route, make sure it comes from a Contour that was a rod shifter style (1995 - 1997 model years). It is possible to convert a rod shifter Contour to a cable shifter style but the cost is extremely prohibitive. I've never heard of the internal shifter mechanism in the transaxle failing in a rod-style shifter Contour but you never know, there could always be a first time.

I haven't had time to chrck into it at all.... but I am almost positive, from how the shifter feels, and how ALL the gears are just slop all at once without the 'grenaded fluid and shrapnel everywhere' signs, that it is something to do with the linkage....
as I said before, it is mechanical linkage, not cable... but the linkage rod moves into the tranny (like normal?) with the shifter. Someone told me there is ALWAYS 2 linkage 'rods' on a front wheel drive, something about a stablizer??... but I only remember ever seeing one, and there is definitly only one there now....
So my guess is that if it is the shift rod/linkage it would have to be internal... sound right???

I have a 95 tour. The shift linkage connects to the rod stub sticking out the transmission. "The stabilizer rod" connects to the housing on a large rubber bushed post on the transmission housing next to this rod stub on the transmission. If the stabilizer breaks or for me my mechanic diddn't reconnect it properly once the transmission is hard to get into 1-2 gear or 5-rev. the rod doesn't affect 3-4 gear as much. If you jack up the front end and push the rod connected to the shift linkage part of the transmission you can shift into 3rd and 4th and hear a solid clunk when this happens. I suspect you have the bolt inside the shift tower of the rod shifted transmission broken or it fell out. The top of the transmission has the 4 bolt cover with the electric connector for the reverse switch on it. This is what you remove to get to the shift linkage inside. I can send picktures of my parts transmission I still hav if needed.

I have been looking for an exploded view of the shift linkage and tranny but I cant find anything. Any ideas?

DirtyBird,

Here is a thread over on Contour FCO that has a couple diagrams and pictures of the rod shifter system. You have to be a member to view the pictures:

http://www.fordcontour.org/topic/11...68574__hl__steering__fromsearch__1#entry68574

There are other discussion threads on FCO that cover this shifter.

Otherwise, shoot me a PM with your e-mail address. I'll scan the section in my 1995 Contour manual that covers the shift linkage and e-mail it to you.

I got it all fixed! Thank you all for your help and saving me from buying a whole tranny/clutch setup. It was the pin at the bottom of the shift tower rod.
Quick question tho... it looked like ATF in the tranny when I took it apart (red, somewhat thin fluid) is this normal?

I got it all fixed! Thank you all for your help and saving me from buying a whole tranny/clutch setup. It was the pin at the bottom of the shift tower rod.
Quick question tho... it looked like ATF in the tranny when I took it apart (red, somewhat thin fluid) is this normal?
Yes...OEM MTX oil is ATF. Some have driven a bazzillion miles with it...others have had issues. RP and RD are heavily recommended as replacement fluid.

Atf is fine, well unless you have $60 or so burning a hole in your wallet. Don't fix what isn't broke.

Back