• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

pretty sure my pulse wheel is on wrong

loafers

CEG'er
bought a 3l for a guy he said it was already in a csvt so i figured that every thing was done for the swap. the motor is now in my car and it wont start. it has spark and fuel but it want start. it it pops and spudders every so often but that's about it:nonono:

I thought mine was on wrong so I pulled the pulley back off. Then looked in there and took some pics. You should be able to see the slot locations. Mine turned out to be bad wires on the three plug cluster by the passenger valve cover. So make sure to check all your wires.

If you did put it on backwards, you really dont need to pull your engine like some people here do. I had to modify my pulse wheel to play nice with my standalone and I pulled and reinstalled it with the engine in place, just support the engine yank the motor mount push the coolant overflow aside and a few hours later you'll have a running car.

i did it with the motor still in the car not bad at all, now im just waiting for the timing cover gasket set to get here so i can put it back together.

When you do the timing cover gasket take your time and be VERY careful and make sure it seals all the way. Its kinda difficult to seal it up perfect while the engine is still in the car, just take your time and you should be alright. This comes from a person who did this and ended up with a beautiful running 3L only to discover my timing cover gasket wasnt sealing and I was leaking oil. That is not what you wanna see when you start cruising around in your new 3L

Its not as easy as it seems. The alternator is bolted to the timing cover, valve covers need to come off in order for the gaskets to be put back on properly, not to mention everything else that has to come off.

By the time you screw around trying to work on it in the engine bay and fight it all the way, you could have the motor pulled out, pulse wheel flipped, and re-install everything properly. Expecially if the motor was pulled once already.

i didnt think it was that bad doing it in the car. it only took me like 3 maybe 4 hours . got it running tonight but now im only firing on 5. im guessing it the plug wires or one of the plugs on the rear valve cover. some power steering fluid got in the gray plug so cleaned that and im letting it dry and i hope to get it running right tomorrow. i havent drove this car in over a year and a half i cant wait till its on the road

i didnt think it was that bad doing it in the car. it only took me like 3 maybe 4 hours
It was even quicker for me, I have stuff deleted though. I had a pulse wheel ready to swap mine with took about 2 hours with air tools. No way I am pulling my engine and putting it back in in two hours.

Awesome to hear! I'm glad you got it taken care of and you didn't have to pull the engine. ;)

Back