• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

POS Door Handle

RawBurt

Hard-core CEG'er
My driver side door handle is junk. I can barely open my door from the outside anymore. Its embarrassing quite honestly... Its bad enough I drive a contour.

Is this something that I can fix myself, or is a new handle required?

Well, first you have to dignose why it doesn't work properly. Thenyou can determine if its somehting you can fix, or if its something that needs to be replaced.

And if you don't like your contour, sell it.

Well, first you have to dignose why it doesn't work properly. Thenyou can determine if its somehting you can fix, or if its something that needs to be replaced.

And if you don't like your contour, sell it.

I think he is selling it.

As for me if I lock my driver side door and I am in the car. I can not unlock it from the inside button. So I have to roll down my window and use my key to unlock my door.:mad: I have no power options. :nonono:

I had the problem with my driverside handle being a ***** to open too. It thing the latch latches on to had gotten bumped back over time, just loosened the screw and pushed it forward a half a centimeter and now the handle works 100% of the time.

I had the problem with my driverside handle being a ***** to open too. It thing the latch latches on to had gotten bumped back over time, just loosened the screw and pushed it forward a half a centimeter and now the handle works 100% of the time.

I'll have to try that. My drivers side handle works fine, but isn't as smooth as the other doors when pulling up on it. I love Fords! :)

Reebs

An easy way to tell if your latch mechanism needs lubed...

Push on the door, pull up on the handle, then pull the door open, release handle.

Same procedure as normally opening the door, except you push on it while pulling up on the handle.

If the door opens perfectly, you need lube. And not WD40! Get some real lube...

IIRC, my brother sprayed silicon lube in there when he was watching my 96 GL (he grew tired of the hard to open door!)...

when I bought my first SVT the drivers handle did not work at all... we took off the door panel and tightened everything up inside where the handle is located and now it works like a brand new car on that side.. The passengers side is getting hard to open now which means its time to do the same on the other side now.

somthing is loose or something shifted... thats all.

Back