• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Performance Street/Auto-X Tires- Recommendations?

YOOOO

Veteran CEG'er
Heavily considering buying Dunlop Direzza Star Specs again, but also interested in the Hankook Ventus RS-3 and Kumho Ecsta XS. Star specs seem to be ubiquitous at the auto-x events I go to. What about Falken RT615k's? Toyo R1R's? Curious to what the track junkies on here are using....anything I'm missing? Ruled out Potenzas and Neovas---too expensive. Size will be 225/45/17. I have an extra set of wheels for winter. I do not care about maximum wet performance but they do need to be usable in the rain for those unpredictable summer t-storms. Of the extreme summer performance category which tires have you found to offer the longest tread life? the most dry grip?

The only 2 tires you should look at, from what you can buy, are the Star Specs and RS-3's. On a Circuit, the RS-3's have been compared to R-Comps.. closest street tire you can get to R-Comps. With that being said, the RS-3's will not last as long as the Star Specs. I had Star Specs, because any other tire wasn't good enough to get when I purchased mine, and I liked them a lot. For me, it's a decision between RS-3's and Star Specs for when I buy tires.

Btw, there are many tire reviews, rankings, summaries online about this category of tire, since it's so fiercely contested through-out all walks of grassroots racing.

I have to 2nd the RS-3's. After all my research, they'll be the ones I put on my turbo contour. I can't recommend the RT615K's, as I had them on my silver 3L, and they were pretty bad after a few heat cycles. I know the "new" version is meant to fix that, but a lot of reviews still say it's bad.

I'm rocking Michelin Pilot SuperSports. Supposedly its a summer tire & lasts long. I used to go thru tires yearly, but these ones have been on for two years & still have quite a bit of thread left on them. They come with 30,000mile warranties. As for grip, i think they work good. Look up the reviews. Lotta raves about them.

I'm rocking Michelin Pilot SuperSports. Supposedly its a summer tire & lasts long. I used to go thru tires yearly, but these ones have been on for two years & still have quite a bit of thread left on them. They come with 30,000mile warranties. As for grip, i think they work good. Look up the reviews. Lotta raves about them.

I second that. Only had them on for two days now but I'm loving them...much better than my old rt615's. They just took first in car and drivers summer tire test...star specs didn't do so well. Yokohama advan neova ad08 did the best in the dry.

I second that. Only had them on for two days now but I'm loving them...much better than my old rt615's. They just took first in car and drivers summer tire test...star specs didn't do so well. Yokohama advan neova ad08 did the best in the dry.

As they are within a few bucks each of the RS-3's, they are definitely worth a look. Do you have a link to the review?

Whoops...forgot I made this thread haha.

Anyways, the Michelin's are tempting. While I don't really need the extended treadlife (I put maybe 5000 miles a year on the car), it certainly doesn't hurt....probably would save money in the long run over an extreme summer tire. They are also 5lbs lighter than the star specs...hmmm. But grippier in the dry?

Anyways found an EXCELLENT article with in depth description of the best performing tires in this category, well worth the read if you're looking for these kinds of tires. Wish they went into more detail about the Michelins though. Also it appears Dunlop has released the successor to Star specs overseas and it's coming to the US shortly, something to consider.

https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=245008598916447

Here are the new ZII's...if that's not a sexy tire I don't know what is lol
z2_tyre.png

I have Hankook Ventus V12 EVO's on my car. I've been happy with them. No problems at all in the rain and good for autocrossing. They took second place in Car & Drivers "affordable summer tires" test.

This link might help you.
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/hankook-ventus-v12-evo-page-10

Actually I had those on my Pro Race 1.2's in 215/45/17 form. I got them when they were on sale....for $380 shipped they were a bargain but lacked the grip of the star specs, which was to be expected. Still, a good tire for the money.

Bit the bullet and bought...

....Falken Azenis RT615K. Yeah yeah I know, but I got an awesome deal on them. I'll post a review once I get them.

falken-Azenis-RT-615K-feat1.jpg

The Rt-615K's are said, and most likely are, to be much better than the old RT-615's.. though I don't know how they stack up to the RS-3's, Star Specs, Ecsta XS'. Either way, congrats on the purchase! Get a good heat cycle on them before you start tearing up corners

The Rt-615K's are said, and most likely are, to be much better than the old RT-615's.. though I don't know how they stack up to the RS-3's, Star Specs, Ecsta XS'. Either way, congrats on the purchase! Get a good heat cycle on them before you start tearing up corners

It's been hard to find consistent, unbiased reviews about them, but from what I gathered they are a good tire, but not as good as those you listed. The dry grip is supposed to be superior to the Star Specs with similiar treadlife, and I was able to get them at a cheaper price so that's what sold me. They actually prefer cooler temps so that's another plus with fall just around the corner- but they become useless on hot days after a few laps around the track- where as the RS-3 and XS shine in hot temps. I only autocross so these should be fine for me. Of course I won't really know for sure till I try them on....I had the old Rt215's on my Talon and liked them so I'm expecting good things.

Anyways, saw your sig, did you sell your SVT? When did that happen? Always was a favorite of mine.

If they are just going to be used for autocrossing, would you consider a proper race tire? Some of the guys I autocross with wouldn't have it any other way.

It's been hard to find consistent, unbiased reviews about them, but from what I gathered they are a good tire, but not as good as those you listed. The dry grip is supposed to be superior to the Star Specs with similiar treadlife, and I was able to get them at a cheaper price so that's what sold me. They actually prefer cooler temps so that's another plus with fall just around the corner- but they become useless on hot days after a few laps around the track- where as the RS-3 and XS shine in hot temps. I only autocross so these should be fine for me. Of course I won't really know for sure till I try them on....I had the old Rt215's on my Talon and liked them so I'm expecting good things.

Anyways, saw your sig, did you sell your SVT? When did that happen? Always was a favorite of mine.

Supposedly the new compound in the Rt-615K's help out the "greasyness" that happens in the hotter temps.. but I guess you'll eventually find out lol.

Unfortunately, yes I did.. in a sense. I traded it in for my Mazda 2, which don't get me wrong is a very fun to drive car, especially with what I've done to it, but I do miss my SVT. If I had to go back, I would not finance a new car.. if I were to finance, it'd be a slightly used, higher hp car. Also, it happened around October of last year.

And thank you very much! I wish I kept it and dumped the money I put into my 2, into the Contour. BTW, your Contour is definitely one of my favs too teehee :$

Back