• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

performance chip?

silver rocket

Hard-core CEG'er
Hey i own a 2000 contour 2.5 non SVT. And was wondering about performance chips? I would like to purchase one fairly soon but have no idea whats good. Ive heard about Nautilus? Or should i just tune the chip i have now? I also saw that doing this should be the last thing i want to do cause it wont do much with other mods put on top of it.
So far i only have cold air intake and the throttle hang fixed but i would like to get a exhaust and some other minor mods. But i also have no idea other than exhuast for minor mods. (engine wise any way)
Any idea's of what other mods are relatively quick would be nice.
I know of the SVT upper and lower intake and i might do that but not to sure.

If you are doing a dyno tune, do the tune last. If its going to be a mail order tune, I personally don't think it really matters whether its tuned at the beginning or end, especially since the tuner is practically tuning it in the dark anyways since everyones engine runs different. Unless of course, you have a dyno sheet that shows AFR curves that you can provide.

Nautilus is the best tune to go with. Joey specializes in tuning the duratec motor since he's owned an SVT before.

Other easy mods to do are the SVT intake manifolds and throttle body which you talked about below. It's best to do all of those at one time because they all work together for the best results. Also, once you do the TB, I would have it optimized (knife-edged, countersunk, etc). Might as well get a BAT intake pipe too. Hopefully you're running a quality intake system and properly sized MAF adapter. Other than a aftermarket y-pipe and catback, underdrive pulleys, thats about it as far as easy bolt-on's go.

After that you may want to look into things that won't make more hp, but will make you quicker like a short throw shifter, lighter wheels, weight reduction, etc.

Back