• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

PCV system on turbo 3L with 04+ valve covers

CSVT#49

Addicted CEG'er
Hey guys just starting to look into this a little since I've got all of my major engine parts squared away. Wondering if anyone has a good idea of how to setup the vacuum lines for the PCV system using a full 04+ 3L setup with boost. I know everyone has used the old late 80's Thunderbird Turbo Coupe PCV's with the hybrid 3L and 2.5L boost applications. However using the 04+ valve cover with the PCV in the rear valve cover is a bit different. I'm also wondering how to route the line from the front cover as well. Searching the forums it seemed like people had taken and used the existing PCV on the rear valve cover, placed a check valve in front of it and routed another line tee'd between the PCV and the check valve over to the front valve cover.

So yea is there a general consensus on the correct way to do this?

I would set it up just like the stock setup on my VR4 (well, flipped technically since the PCV valve on the VR4 is in the front valve cover). run the PCV line directly to the intake manifold, but make sure that either the PCV seals properly or it has a check valve in line. then, run the front valve cover to a port before the turbo and after the MAF. if you want a catch can, put it inline with the front valve cover.

Wouldn't you want the catch can in line from the rear valve cover since thats where the PCV is?

ideally you would do both but if you are only going to do one then i would put it on the front cover. keep in mind that under boost the airflow for the PCV system will be coming out of the front valve cover. this is because the line to the rear valve cover will be closed, and the turbo will provide enough vacuum to pull air through that front cover. any time that there is any pressure in the manifold the PCV system will function that way.

I have the front cover port vented (K&N air filter), and no additional check valve in front of the PCV.

I have small oil separators (3/8" air compressor separators) on both valve covers, though the front one is always dry. I'll be getting a large separator for the PCV side (when I put on the ST220 UIM), and maybe getting rid of the front one (less restriction). With your built motor, I'd imagine you'd get more blow by... at least the built 2.5L I had before did.

Get a good check valve and skip the turbo coupe valves. I've never been completely happy with them. The autopart store ones never seal and the motorcraft ones are iffy. My PCV is completely vented because of the blow through setup. I might add a slash cut to the exhaust to get vacuum back on the PCV but I'd still vent the valve covers. I do have a catch can in there now for the covers and pcv to all go through before they vent but it is always empty.

Back