• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Optimizing Gauge Cluster Lighting?

Mac

CEG'er
So as we all know, the lighting for the gauge cluster isn't really sufficient enough to evenly light the whole gauge cluster... so i'm throwing an idea out there hoping for some insight about how my idea will or will not work.. and if there is a better way besides getting LED's (which still doesn't solve the uneven light displacement from what i've seen)..

now i've heard of some making extra holes in the back of the cluster to add additional LED's to help this uneven light problem, but there wasn't really a detailed explanation to how they were wired up.. and also, since i'm not interested in moving to the LED's just yet i'm wondering if by using the below pictured bulbs i could accomplish the same thing?

Now i'm pretty sure i can figure out where i would want to make my holes and how i would support the bulb in the holes, but i'm not sure which way would be the best for wiring them up...

1. solder and insulate 2 wires to the end of the bulb, then soldering to one of the twist plugs that lights the cluster...

2. solder and insulate 2 wires to the end of the bulb, then splice into the power lead from one of the harness clips that powers the cluster lighting...

now although these methods might not be the best/safest was to accomplish this, keep in mind that i am NO electrical expert and to me, both methods seem logical...

these are the bulbs i was thinking of using, and if somebody has a better bulb suggestion by all means please share!
DSC00122.jpg

DSC00123.jpg

thanks, Drew

Back