• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

opinions on exhaust

novellino21

Veteran CEG'er
I emailed truebendz.com and asked them what exaust would give me a deep throaty sound close to a v8 mustang. They said i should go with a borla muffler.
Borla does sound good, but not on all cars. My friend had a probe gt with borla cat back and it sounded amazing but that car is a really high reving car and a smaller engine size also. What would sound good (a deep throaty choppy v8 sound) on a 3L contour like mine?
Opinions, comments, questions, thoughts, and ideas are all welcome:)

Last edited:
There is no chance in hell you're going to make your V6 sound like a V8. That's not to say that it can't sound deep and throaty, just nothing close to a mustang. A lot of people are very satisfied with truebendz w/ various muffler combos. I have a Bassani cat-back, because I first heard it on Mark's (Y2KSVT) car and thought it sounded and looked great. I couldn't be more pleased with my decision.:cool:

Yea, V8 mustang sound is unattainable unless you do the "+2 cylinder" mod.

I think that the Trubendz cat-back with a magnaflow muffer, non-res, sounds perfect at idle, and at WOT sounds pretty damn good.

If you are running Headers, and a hi-flow Y-pipe, (or plan to in the future) you should buy the Magnaflow WITH resonators. Without them and running headers, is becomes raspy and unbearably loud.

Run a large Dynomax Ultraflow in the resonator location without rear resonators. That will give you a nice throaty rumble. Not two banks of balanced cylinders (V8) rumble but nice for a V6.

Magnaflow mufflers give a more boomy rumble.

Borla muffler are typically a more muted "sounding" rumble.

demonsvt are you saying to run magnaflow mufflers with 2.5 inch piping and adding a large dynomax ultraflow resonator w/out any rear resonators. That setup should sound good? I have never heard any csvt with exhaust so i have no idea what they sound like. Videos online always sound differently than real life.
Run a large Dynomax Ultraflow in the resonator location without rear resonators. That will give you a nice throaty rumble. Not two banks of balanced cylinders (V8) rumble but nice for a V6.

Magnaflow mufflers give a more boomy rumble.

Borla muffler are typically a more muted "sounding" rumble.

I'm saying exactly what I posted.

I recommend a full bodied Ultraflow in the stock resonator location with no mufflers after it. Yes all piping should be 2.5" mandrel bent.

The last two sentences were comments on how two other muffler brands sound.

Several things will change the sound of the exhaust making it harsher. Headers and no cat are two big ones.

personally i have the 2.5" unresonated trubendz setup with the magnaflow muffler, no cat, opt. Y pipe, and gutted precats. now this isnt a legal setup, but it is very throaty and sounds good. it is a bit drony at low rpm but not bad, it's quiet enough to slip by the cops until you get over 3000rpm then it turns on and sounds great. however it will never sound like a v8 mustang in the least, unfortunately.

I have borla trubendz 3" and it is deep probably one of the better setups out there. I have videos floating around of the sound I would go borla without resonator I have no drone too.

ok so this sucks, i kinda need a solution from you guys. I put my car on a lift at work (i work at Morrie's Ford btw) and checked out my factory exhaust and apparently the previous owner had a rusted out flex pipe and instead of replacing it with another flex pipe he jus welded on a piece piping where the flex pipe is suppossed to go. I can try and get pics. tomorrow. How can i put exhaust on now? My plan was do it myself so it'd be cheaper but now i have to pay someone to weld my exhaust together.
Any suggestions on what i should do?

Have a shop put it on. They can cut the piping and put a flange on it so you can disconnect it. They should also be able to put a flex in there. It shouldn't be that big of a deal. I just had a shop build an exhaust for me with all the parts I brought them.

Back